Social Life Tips for Freshies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

As we move into the end of the second month of the semester, many of you have already found a social niche (and maybe even a weekend party routine). For those of you who haven’t, we at Her Campus have provided some simple rules to live by so that your freshman year isn’t spent re-watching all seasons of Friday Night Lights (as much as Taylor Kitsch is definitely worth it…).

Attend campus events!

We know seeing the visiting panpipe performer may not be your idea of a raging Friday night, but attending a wide range of campus events improves your social life in more ways than you think.  Even though you may not be actually socializing at these events, you’re getting your face out there.  With Skidmore being the small school that it is, you’ll soon become increasingly recognizable, which will ease you into later social introductions. We’d all rather hear, “Yeah, I feel like I see you all the time!,” than, “Oh, you go here?? My bad!” Try not to be that girl…

Join a club

This is a given. Club Fair came and went, but it’s definitely not too late to join a club (or two or three…). You instantly have a group of students to say hi to on campus, to hang out with on the side, and who will probably invite you to their house parties. Plus, student clubs typically span all class years, making the possibility for friendships endless!

DT can wait

You’ve probably noticed by now that going downtown Thursday and Saturday nights is a big thing at Skidmore. As a freshman, chances are high that you’re not 21… so don’t stress about it.  Enjoy the days of house party-hopping and 1 a.m. Spa runs.  There’s plenty of time to go downtown junior and senior year, and believe us: four years of Mine every weekend would get really old, really fast…

Don’t be afraid to tag along

Your roomie’s peer mentor invites her over all the time and yours sends you pictures of her cat. The message is clear here… tag along with your roomie.  Upperclassmen are used to freshies traveling in packs, so don’t feel like you’re imposing on an exclusive invite. You’re not! This is a simple, casual way to meet upperclassmen and ensure later invites.

Because Skidmore is small, social life here isn’t entirely about what party you’re going to, it’s about who you know. So, as tempting as Netflix is, close the laptop and get out there, collegiettes!