Skidmore Style Watch: Get the Look!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

This Week’s Style 

Sydney Lea, 2014

“The denim Levi jacket has been my Dad’s since the 70’s, the shirt is actually a quidditch jersey (haha) from UC Santa Ana that my friend from California got me, the skirt is from H&M, the socks and tights are from TJ Maxx, and the boots are from a shoe store near where I live in Vermont.”

How would you describe your personal style?
I’d say I go for comfortable but flattering – I can’t feel like I look good unless I feel good, too. I like to be creative with outfits, but overall I keep it pretty simple.

What do you think about Skidmore’s style on campus?
I think there are a lot of very stylish people on campus. The hipster trend is definitely prevalent, but hey – some people can really pull it off! I also know that at some schools, women feel uncomfortable leaving their dorms without looking perfectly put together, and I appreciate the fact that while people do like to dress up at Skidmore, we can get away with walking around campus in sweats if we want.

What is one staple piece in your wardrobe?
I couldn’t go without black leggings or my flannel shirts. When I’m in a rush in the morning, that combination is my standby.

Favorite place to shop?
Call me cheap, but I get most of my wardrobe at TJ Maxx. Yes, there are a lot of trashy things you need to wade through in order to get to the good stuff, but there’s a lot of good stuff to be found! I’ve never felt very comfortable spending a lot of money on clothing, so I like that I can buy a bunch of things for not that much.

Get the Look

BDG Denim Trucker Jacket, Urban Outfitters $69

H&M Skirt $17.95

Vintage Sports Tee, Junk Food Clothing $24
(There are so many great vintage tees to choose from… Check out Zazzle and Junk Food Clothing)

UO Classic Kneesock, Urban Outfitters $12 (or 2 for $20!)

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn