Skidmore’s Riding Team Ties for Reserve Champion at Nationals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Skidmore certainly had an unforgettable season this year, winning every show! This year the Skidmore riding team tied for second place overall at the IHSA Nationals in Lexington, Kentucky with St. Lawrence. Centenary took home the blue.

Skidmore won Nationals last year where co-captain Alex McGuire ‘11 won the individual walk trot canter. “Being on the Skidmore riding team has been life-altering over the past four years,” she said. “It has taught me how to work hard and overcome obstacles, both physical and mental. It has taught me how to be confident, and believe you are a winner. Earning the National title last year was amazing, and the positive attitude it bred lasted this whole year. The fire from the win pushed us to work harder each and every day leading up to this year’s national competition.”

Before Nationals 2011, junior Kelly Campbell said,“it feels great to be returning as last year’s champion, but again there is a lot of pressure associated with defending a title rather than chasing one.  Everyone is going to be looking at us as the team to beat.”

Alex seconded her feelings by saying, “we certainly want to win, but no matter what the outcome is on Saturday, we look forward to a fun and spirited week – how could we not in Kentucky, horse country?”

Highlights include:

• Flavia D’Urso’s ninth place finish in individual open over fences.
  • Alex McGuire’s honorable mention in individual novice over fences.
  • Freshman Ellie Hayden’s National debut earned her an honorable mention in team novice over fences.
  • Hanae Kimura won the individual novice flat.
  • Alex added the first seven points to the Skidmore team score by winning the team novice flat.
  • Chelsea Jones finished sixth in the team intermediate flat.
  • Julia Mazzarella was reserve champion in team intermediate over fences.
  • Olivia Cameron was this year’s Zone 2 Region 3’s Cacchione Rider, meaning that she earned the most points for open flat and fences this season. Olivia finished 13th.
  • Centenary’s Cacchione rider won the Cacchione cup on Skidmore’s horse Best Boy (making this the second year in a row the Cacchione won on a Skidmore horse).
  • Cecie Culp placed sixth in team walk/trot.
  • Torie Neff was second in team walk/trot/canter.
  • Flavia earned a fourth place finish in team open over fences.
  • Kelly Campbell placed 10th in the team open flat.

Congratulations to Skidmore’s Flavia, Alex, Ellie, Hanae, Chelsea, Julia, Cecie, Torie, and Kelly!

In addition, freshman Kyle Olson received the IHSA Volunteer of the Show Award for her outstanding work as a warm-up ring steward.
Shout out to Jenn Brown, Amanda Werner, Megan Merritt and Madeline Frank for helping make the show a success as well and for keeping the Skidmore horses happy.

Head coach Cindy Ford was awarded the IHSA Lifetime Achievement Award and assistant coach Belinda Colgan received the IHSA Coach of the Year Award.

Didn’t make it to a horse show this year? Next year be sure you don’t miss out. Visit www.skidmoreriding.com for the latest news on the riding team and for a show schedule. 

Photos courtesy of www.skidmoreathletics.com

Emma Weinstein is a senior at Skidmore College majoring in Art History. She loves being a part of Her Campus Skidmore and has written articles throughout her four years. Emma is an avid equestrian and member of the Riding Team. Other hobbies include travel, cooking, and personal fitness.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.