Skidmore Hacks: Cheat Codes for College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Do you ever wish there was a cheat code for real life? We can’t promise the virtual perks of pausing or fast-forwarding time, but we can offer some advice to make life a little more pleasant.

Befriend a Cab Driver

Need to get to the airport on time? Don’t want to wait on a taxi to go downtown? The next time you and your friends hit it off with a cab driver, get his or her card or phone number. Instant personal driver.

Get Drinks in Pony Club Crowds

This is essentially the same concept as before. Instead of waiting for everyone to show up downtown on the 12:30 bus (read: drunk bus), head to Irish Times or DA’s a little early and chat up the bartenders. After a few visits, the bartenders and bouncers will get to know you. Then, once the crowd gets in and you need drinks for your friends, they’ll make sure to serve you first.

DIY Movie Theater

Instead of crowding around your friend’s laptop in her bottom bunk, take your DVD to Davis. Yes, Davis Auditorium. On weekends, you won’t run into classes or lectures and can watch your movie on the big screen with plenty of room. You can also reserve the viewing room in the library on any day.

Free Filtered Water

Instead of paying for bottled water, look for water fountains with the plastic white attachment on the nozzle. This indicates that the water is filtered. Skidmore is increasing the number of water fountains with this feature, having already installed them in the women’s locker room and library. Without it, you’re drinking metal-flavored water.

Cold Water

Skidmore loves to cut off electricity and hot water at the least convenient times possible. If you’re caught in a hot water draught but need to shower, you can always go to the gym. However, the walk from the gym to campus with wet hair is not appealing, and the gym never leaves us feeling quite clean. One of the bathrooms in Harder (for whatever reason) also has a couple showers, where towels have been spotted! If you’re desperate, take advantage of the connected academic buildings and take your shower down there. However, we ultimately recommend befriending an upperclassman, instead, who will let you use his or her shower while your dorm gets fixed.

Driving Tricks

The Saratogian parking lot is not restricted after work hours or on weekends. This lot has prime downtown parking near Caroline Street. The parking lot near Ben & Jerry’s also has a top floor that opens to Phila Street. In other words, leave your coats in the car and walk ten feet to Irish Times. Finally, avoid Route 50 traffic to Hannaford’s by taking East Ave to Lake Avenue. Take a left on Weibel Avenue then a left on Louden Road, and you’ll be right there! It looks like a huge loop, but it’s nearly traffic-free with significantly less lights.

Quick Cash

If you don’t want to or don’t have time for a campus job, there are still ways to get some cash. You can participate in paying Psych experiments. You can also become a tutor with Academic Services, which means you make your own hours and can take it as far as you want. Similarly, you can be a note-taker for those with disabilities through Academic Services. At the end of the year, companies like Belltower Books recruit students to buy back textbooks. Over a two-week commitment, what you make is proportionate to how many books you buy.

It’s the little things that go a long way. We hope these tips make your life just that much easier!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.
Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.