The Skidmore Guide for Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Dear Freshmen,
We at Her Campus know how you feel. We’ve all been through freshman year and even a month into college, you may still not feel completely settled in. Learn from our mistakes and discoveries and save yourself a little of that inevitable toil that comes with every frosh’s fall.

• The hottest guys have girlfriends—usually still in high school.
  • Don’t be that girl holding up the drink line at Dhall: clear cups on clear cups don’t stick together.
  • At 1 am, a grilled cheese at the Spa makes it okay that all the parties got busted.
  • Everyone wears rain boots on rainy days, even though they’re not at all necessary #coveredwalkways.
  • Sign up for an overload of clubs at the club fair just to get the emails of what’s going on.
  • The Hunt is a hardcore infamous scavenger hunt.  Only sign up if you’re willing to do almost anything. We don’t exaggerate.
  • Get a coffee card from Burgess—it’s well worth it.
  • Everyone is sick after the first two weeks of classes. Don’t use it as an excuse; you’re not the only one.
  • Plum Dandy’s has buy-one-get-one-free (or BOGO) Tuesday’s.
  • Domino’s delivers until 1 am if you want quality. Esperanto’s delivers until 3:00am if you’re past the point of caring.
  • Make friends with people who have cars. The bus ride to Wilton Mall is not worth the shopping.
  • If you take a class that ends at 5 pm, your stomach will be embarrassingly loud by the end. Bring a snack.
  • If it’s sunny and warm, go outside! We can’t emphasize enough how precious this weather is.
  • It is ridiculously hard to shave your legs in the showers. We’ll let you figure that one out.
  • You will lose your ID if you don’t have a lanyard. Just whatever you do, don’t wear it around your neck.
  • The clothes that you thought weren’t cool at home are cool at Skidmore. Don’t get rid of them.
  • Take MB107 if you want to be in at least one class where guys out number girls.
  • The short walk to the library will eventually become a hike.  At that point it’s just as easy to print in Starbuck.
  • Start planning your Halloween costume way in advance.
  • Breakfast served until 4 pm on the weekends becomes your new best friend.
  • The egg griddle in DHall is not just for eggs. (French toast, Philly cheese steak, stir fry).
  • Soft vanilla ice cream in a cup of hot coffee. ‘Nuff said.
  • On Falstaff’s: the bodies are sweaty and the B.O. is strong. This can be more easily ignored with some pre-outing preparation (only for us 21+ freshmen, of course!).
  • Go for a hockey player if you’re into guys who are five years older than you and five years less mature than you.
  • Just because a door is open in Scribner, doesn’t mean you’re welcome.

Now go impress your friends with your upperclassmen knowledge! We may even mistake you for a sophomore.

hcxo,
Her Campus

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn