SkidCard Accepted: Downtown Spots that Take SkidIDs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We all know that college students don’t have tons of money to spare. It can especially be hard for us to manage our money in a town as expensive as Saratoga Springs. Downtown establishments that offer Skidmore discounts and accept the SkidCard are a convenient solution. So check this list below the next time you head down Broadway for lunch or a little shopping!

• Pizza on Broadway: With a cute “Broadway” theme, it offers an assortment of pizza, delicious sandwiches, salads, calzones, pasta, desserts and alcoholic beverages for those of us over 21. Try the Xanadu Panini with the Caprese Salad! 384 Broadway. Accepts Skidmore ID.

• Saratoga Coffee Traders: With a relaxed atmosphere, with board games and comfy couches, this is a great place to do work. Not nearly as crowded as Starbucks or Uncommon Grounds, SCT features plenty of drink options, as well as breakfast items, penny candy and salads and sandwiches for lunch. 447 Broadway. Offers small Skidmore discount to students and accepts ID card.
  • Piper: This chic boutique offers great shirts for a night out on the town, as well as really cute dresses. Lines include Collective Concepts, Jack, BB Dakota and SOLD denim; all very affordable for the collegiette™. Following her success in Saratoga, the owner has sought to open a second location on the UPENN campus! 441 Broadway. Ten percent off first purchase and accepts SkidCard.
  • Lucia: A favorite for affordable accessories in Saratoga! Lucia features vintage clothing and jewelry, as well as Blank denim (super affordable designer skinny jeans), La Mer watches, MinkPink and others. Boasting a very bohemian feel, the small boutique has grown so popular that it will soon be moving into a bigger location, at the front of the Saratoga Marketplace (where the Turkish Bazaar once was). Accepts SkidCard.
  • Encounter: This high-end boutique has been open since finals time last year (perhaps we were a little too preoccupied in the Scribner library to notice). Offers Vince sweaters, Citizens of Humanity jeans, MIH jeans (my new favorite line!), Alice + Olivia, Gentlefawn (good price point for students), William Rast jeans (of Justin Timberlake fame), Goldhawk, Michael Lauren (stock up on the soft tees!), Diane Von Furstenberg and more! 482 Broadway. Ten percent discount for Skidmore students!
  • Mrs. London’s: This homey but elegant atmosphere offers quiches, sandwiches, salads, croques, cookies, pastries and more. The creamy tomato soup is HC approved! This cafe is a great place to go with a girlfriend for lunch or tea! Offers both inside and outdoor seating. 464 Broadway. Accepts SkidCard.
  • Max London’s: Part of the same franchise as Mrs. London, this classy establishment came into existence about two years ago. Max London’s has been featured in the New York Times and offers both inside and outdoor seating. Great place to bring your parents for its renowned brunch. Or go on a date for one of their refined nightly specials. 466 Broadway. Accepts SkidCard.

• Plum Dandy: What Skidmore student hasn’t been to Plum Dandy (and multiple times)? A great place for a study break, Plum Dandy offers different yogurt flavors, smoothies, bubble teas and an almost endless amount of toppings. Every Tuesday is buy one frozen yogurt, get one free (or BOGO)! Free Wi-Fi. Fun, upbeat atmosphere. Features board games, Beatles Sundays and DJ Fridays.  419 Broadway. Accepts SkidCard.

You don’t have to break the bank to have a good time downtown. This list features just a few of every Skiddie’s favorite Saratoga spots where a girl on the run can grab a quick bite, score an adorable outfit, or plan a romantic date, all without having to reach for her wallet!

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn