To Self-Determine, or Not or Self-Determine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

On such a unique campus, you may have met many fellow students who have planned a self-determined major. And even if not, some current majors like International Affairs, Asian Studies and even Environmental Studies all actually originated as self-determined majors that were too popular not to establish.

The SDM program has definitely been getting more attention, but for people who are interested in studying something different but don’t know how, getting started can be intimidating and confusing. If you’re thinking about an SDM but stuck deciding, here are some pros and cons to help you figure out if the program is right for you.

Pros

1. You get to create a program that is focused specifically on your interests.

2. You get to conduct your own senior independent study as a culmination of your work.

3. You definitely get attention and some benefits from working hands-on with professors who love to hear about your project, and you get two different advisors to help you along the way.

4. You are able to study much more diverse and interdisciplinary topics than you would with most other majors.

5. Let’s be honest—it’s really marketable and looks great on your resume.

Cons

1. The application process can be long and confusing.

2. You don’t necessarily have a specific department in which you’re studying.

3. You have to take 300-level classes in every department involved in your studies, which often times means taking a lot more courses than you would with a single major.

4. You have to plan your semesters carefully to make sure you are able to take every single class on your list—especially if you want to study abroad.

5. It sometimes gets old when you have to explain your major to everyone.

At the end of the day, if there’s something you’re really passionate about and know you want to explore, then definitely jump right into a SDM! It’s so rewarding, and no amount of hard work or confusion should get in the way of you finding yourself. Just know what you’re getting yourself into, be smart about your choice, and consider all of your options.

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.