This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Honestly, I went to see Deadpool because of the marketing. I’m going to say right off the bat that I don’t usually like superhero movies and I know absolutely nothing about the Deadpool comics or any other required backstory. Marvel promoted the movie so well that I found myself interested in seeing it, despite knowing that I usually don’t like superhero movies and probably would have rather spend $10 seeing The Good Dinosaur. Regardless, on a Wednesday night in Edinburgh, I found myself in the nicest movie theater I’d ever been to in my life, eating a cup of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, and waiting for Deadpool to start.

I’m not really sure what I expected out of the movie, but I had heard only great things going into it. Everywhere I looked people were saying “see Deadpool,” and “Deadpool is the best movie I’ve seen so far this year,” – and the statistics seem to back that up: Deadpool has had the biggest opening for an R-rated film this year and the biggest opening of all time for IMAX 2d theaters. Clearly, there’s something about Deadpool.

To put it short: I really liked Deadpool, and I feel like I chose a great superhero movie to be the only one I see for a while. It’s gory and graphic and gross – that R-rating is there for a reason – but it’s also hysterical, fast paced, fun, and very clever. Deadpool breaks down the fourth wall like nobody’s business, which is surprisingly awesome because it makes you feel like the movie is there to be watched by you in particular. When the action pauses and Deadpool turns to face the camera, his super-white eyes simultaneously disconcerting and intriguing, and speaks directly to you, you can’t help but be enthralled. There were plenty of moments in the movie when I couldn’t help smiling or couldn’t hold myself back laughing, and the characters may be a little one dimensional, but the clever humor makes up for it. The movie also moves quite quickly, which is probably a testament to its ability to draw an audience in and keep them fully captivated for an hour and forty-five minutes – but it’s also really nice if you have a short attention span like me.

The biggest thing I wished for from Deadpool was a stronger plotline – I felt as though it was mostly action and humor – and more female characters, of course. The ones we have are pretty awesome, but there were only really two major female characters and one minor one. I always want more women, and I’m generally a fan of complex plotlines, so the fact that I felt Deadpool was lacking here was no surprise to me. I was, however, pleasantly surprised at how inoffensive the humor in the film was – I’m the first to admit that I am quite easily offended, but Deadpool didn’t really bother me at all, except for a few very select moments.

I wouldn’t see Deadpool in the theater again, and I won’t buy it on DVD, but I would watch it again on TV or on a movie night. If you are debating going to see it: do. You’ll have a good laugh, even if you have no idea what’s going on the rest of the time. Also, you get to look at Ryan Reynolds, which is always a good time.

Finally, I would endeavor to say that the general message of Deadpool, when all is said and done, is that your looks don’t really matter all that much in the end. (Spoiler: he still gets the girl.) Which, if you know anything about me, is a message I can absolutely get behind.

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.
A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.