Profile: Christopher Naughton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Her Campus: How did you get involved in theater?

Christopher: I’ve been doing theater for as long as I can remember. I always loved playing pretend and telling stories, and at some point around Kindergarden it evolved into a love for theater. I came to Skidmore knowing that I wanted to study theater. I did a theater pre-orientation, went to the first company meeting, and just stuck around. It’s an awesome department, and if you show up with a good attitude you’ll have a great time and make a bunch of great friends.

Her Campus: What is your part in the production and can you tell me a little about it?

Christopher: I play Judas Iscariot, about two thousand years he “betrayed” Jesus Christ and since then he has lived in the ninth circle of hell. The action of the play is based around a trial to decide weather or not Judas deserves to be released from hell. Judas himself appears in memories and testimonies as the court tries to reach a decision on what fate he deserves.

Her Campus: What is the most exciting part about this production?

Christopher: As an actor, I’m most excited about the freedom I am given with Judas. Over the course of the play we really only see Judas in a few moments that other characters believe to be important. Not only that but all of these moments are in some sort of extreme so we almost never see Judas in any sort of normal state. “Not much is known about Judas Iscariot.” Is litteraly a line from the play. And all the other information we are given are other people’s opinions on him. Meaning that I have the opportunity to make a million little decisions about Judas and his personality, history and motivations.   

Her Campus: What is the biggest challenge you have with your role?

Christopher: Well honestly, all that freedom is a challenge. People have been debating about Judas and his reasoning and importance for hundreds of years, figuring what is “right” was nearly impossible and even attempting it was kind of hubristic. The process of piecing togeather a full person when there are so many different interpritations There were a million other little challenges over the course of the process like finding and defining the catatonic state I’m in at certain points in the show, and finding the different extremes the I occupy in each scene. 

Her Campus: Why should people come watch The Last Days of Judas Iscariot?

Christopher: This show is very funny, has amazing characters, and is so incredibly smart, heart breaking, and just downright fun. Sigmund Freud, Mother Teresa, Pontious Pilate, Jesus, Judas, Lawyers, and eight year olds. There are a million little moments that make this show worth watching.

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.