Pony Club: Behind the Scenes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Ever want to know more about the girls responsible for your girls’ night out, Saturday hook-ups, or your Pizza 7 addiction? We can’t tell you who these seniors are, but we can give you a peek into the planning, prepping and partying behind your very own Pony Club.

Her Campus: How did you first get involved with Pony Club?

Pony Club: We went abroad together and always tossed around the idea of being Pony Club. We’re in a lot of the same classes and have been in study groups together, so we knew we were organized and worked well together. We went downtown every weekend and had seen it all, so we thought, why not! Our application was actually late in the process, and we were nervous. Basically we wrote down our qualifications, a blurb about ourselves and met up to three times before they offered us the position.

HC: How was working together as a pair outside of study groups?

PC: We’re very honest with each other. At first, we would plan forever, but now we know how to balance and divide the jobs. We’ve got the routine down, and it works so well. We’ve had a couple of hiccups but we’ve been able to bounce off each other by being open and honest.

HC: Will you use your skills from Pony Club in your careers after graduation?

PC: Absolutely, that’s the best part. We learned so much, like how to be efficient with our time and how to manage our stress level. We realized it will all work out and [learned] how to handle difficult situations. It’s made us more organized and taught us how to manage a lot of different personalities—townies, students, bar owners. Overall, it’s taught us how to manage other people and how to manage ourselves.

HC: Tell us more about the business side of it. How did that develop?

PC: Last year was when it really turned into a business. That’s when they opened it up to new bars and added a lot more structure. It used to be bars running everything, but now we’re the ones organizing and spearheading the events.

HC: How was Pony Club first started?

PC: A DJ our freshman year started it with just two bars: Peabody’s and Venue. Then it evolved and started to include other bars during our sophomore year when two girls ran it. The main transition, though, happened last year, our junior year, when three people took over. It really just started with one guy who just wanted to have fun and expanded from there!

[pagebreak]

HC: Can you explain how the Saturday night venue changed from Peabody’s to Metro to Mine?

PC: Peabody’s used to be under different ownership, which was more lenient to noise violations and more laid back—DJs could play any volume they wanted. Then they turned over ownership and city ordinances outside of Caroline Street forced them to lower the volume after 12:30 a.m. to the point where if you were outside on the patio, you couldn’t hear the music. Cops came to Peabody’s, DJs didn’t want to play there and the kids didn’t like it—it wasn’t fun for anyone.

We loved working with Metro, but the ownership changed hands a lot and then the club shut down. The building was sold and now I think it’s going to be a restaurant.

We weren’t familiar with Mine when they first approached us, but the owners contacted us and were interested in working together. Halloween Friday was our first event with them and it was a hit. It became a regular thing for Saturdays since then. They’re great.

HC: What have been the biggest challenges you’ve faced?

PC: There are more challenges than anyone realizes. So much stress and time goes into planning each event: coordinating with bars—who have to run their own business—DJs and their equipment, which sometimes isn’t working. We have to worry about people breaking things, losing things, kids stealing bottles of alcohol or sneaking in [on] their own (which is a huge problem), kids kicking in the walls or throwing up. Sometimes fights break out, which we have to deal with. Townies will get in fights with other students, but since we pay for extra security, bars will usually stick up for Skidmore students. Basically, we’re the soundboards for the bars, and we take the blame for it all.

There are also other worries like whether people will dress to the themes or if they’ll have fun. Like sometimes, people won’t come to Irish Times on Thursdays, so we’ll pick a different venue for the next week, but then we’ll get complaints that it’s not at Irish Times. We’ve also tried Putnam Den a few times, but no one comes. We make it 18+ to include everyone, but people just don’t like it—it’s a learning experience. We try to listen to the students and balance opinions. There’s always a criticism, but that’s what we signed up for.

HC: Even though it’s stressful, what are some of your favorite parts about running Pony Club?

PC: What makes us the happiest is seeing everyone out. We love bringing everyone together. This is one of the only times everyone will know which bar to go to each night, knowing that they’ll see all their friends there. We love seeing how many different groups come out to have fun. Sometimes we’ll stress that no one will show up but then the 12:30 bus comes and everyone is there.

HC: Are there any bars you’ve wanted to try, but couldn’t for whatever reason?

PC: Yes. We’ve wanted to work with The Parting Glass, but they don’t want us. There’s trouble with cops and letting kids in who they shouldn’t, which makes it difficult to work with everyone. We also want to work with more Caroline Street bars like Tavern and Gaffney’s, but all of those bars already have crowds on Saturday nights without us, so they don’t need us. Paddock and Thirteen, for example, don’t need our business Saturday, but they’re so excited to work with us on Thursdays because we give them so much business. We also pay for extra security and DJs, which makes it even better for them.

HC: Do you think Skidmore has a good party scene?

PC: House parties aren’t a thing anymore. Since more kids have moved onto campus, a lot more people have started to go downtown—which has helped us! It’s also relative to what you see as a party scene. Some schools have no downtown life, and we’re lucky Saratoga stays open until 4 a.m. During the week, most people only go out Thursdays and Saturdays, but a lot of people go to other bars too, like DA’s. We’re so lucky to have our downtown scene, but Skidmore could still step it up. Even so, we’ve seen great turnouts at our events, which is why they’re so fun!

[pagebreak]

HC: Do you have any advice for the people who are taking over Pony Club next year?

PC: Lots—almost too much. We’re still trying to learn how much direction to give them. They have to go with the flow and value other people’s opinions, but not take criticisms to heart. Have fun, because 99% of the time, it works out.

HC: Can you tell us more about who the next people are?

PC: We’re still in the application process, but we like our prospects. We should know by the end of the week.

HC: What hopes do you have for the future of Pony Club?

PC: We hope it continues to provide a fun and safe atmosphere. We want it to expand to new bars and for the next people to come up with new ideas. Take advantage of new things, new students and be accepting of all. Keep it going!

HC: Do you have any special plans for senior week?

PC: Yes! We have a couple of events planned but we won’t give anything away here. We’ve worked with SGA to schedule them so that we know when to and when not to hold events. Basically, there will be no lulls during senior week, and we plan to add to what SGA is already organizing. It will be fun. There’s a lot to look forward to in the last weeks.

Throughout the interview these two would finish each other’s thoughts, working seamlessly together as they have all year. One will be going into public relations and the other will be working in the fashion industry after graduation. Their last comment to share with all of you? Giddy up!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.
Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.