Our Favorite Up & Coming Pop Starts Who Aren’t Old Enough to Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Noah Cyrus (Age 16)

Miley 2.0 is killing it with her debut song, “Make Me (Cry).” At only sixteen, Cyrus is the youngest member of her famous family and will undoubtedly fill the big shoes destined for her.  

Shawn Mendes (Age 18)

It’s no secret that the girls of HC Skidmore love Shawn Mendes. What’s not to love? Attractive, talented, Canadian. Can’t get enough.

Lil Yachty (Age 19)

How many musicians can say they’ve walked in a fashion show, let alone one as high-profile as Yeezy (Season 3)? Lil Yachty can check this off his list. The rapper, who gained initial recognition after going virall on Soundcloud in 2015, walked in West’s show and released his first full album in March 2016. He’s also collabed with Chance The Rapper. Pro tip: I just watched the video for “One Night,” while writing this article, and 10/10 would recommend.

Alessia Cara (Age 20)

Cara is a personal favorite; her ambivert anthem “Here” speaks to me on a personal level. You’ve never gone to a party, looked at the time on your phone, and asked your friends if you could leave five minutes after arriving? Well, then… I’ll just be over here.

Martin Garrix (Age 20)

Another fave. If you’re like me and you don’t love EDM/house/whatever Garrix’s music might fall into, you’ve got to love his breakout and now classic hit “Animals.” Garrix is a star among stars on this list because he has been a world-renowned producer since his teen years (which he is still practically in). He has worked with the best of the best across genres: Usher, Dillon Francis, and Bebe Rexha; not to mention, started his own label company. Not too shabby.  

Hailee Steinfeld (Age 20)

Steinfeld is another overly accomplished teen on this list–she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar at the tender age of thirteen. Since then, she has gone to star in everyone’s agreed upon favorite musical film franchise, Pitch Perfect, starred in the indie hit “Edge of Seventeen,” and released two platinum chart toppers. You go girl.  

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.