Our Fave Fictional Teen Heartthrob: Edward Cullen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

My name is Emma and I’m unashamed of my status as a former-TwiHard. In fact, I flaunt my status pretty openly. I find nothing wrong with loving Twilight. The books are compelling, the guys are ridiculously sexy, and it was the first of its kind. Sure, my obsession was a little excessive. I may or may not have changed my name on Facebook to Emma Cullen and my birthday cake may or may not have read: Happy Birthday Emma Cullen. Did I drink exclusively watered-down cranberry juice for a month because I read on an online-forum that it had immortality powers? Maybe. Did my dad take me to Forks, Washington (home of Bella and Edward) the summer before 8th grade? Who really knows. But even if those things did happen, I’d say they’re just examples of my passion for literature. The 4 hour line I stood on to meet the cast of Twilight only to get to the front and find out he had left? That was not a passion for literature. That was a passion for the man who to this day still melts my heart: Edward Cullen (formerly Edward Anthony Masen)

I still blame Edward Cullen for ruining boys IRL. It’s just a straight fact that no real life boy can compete with the brooding, tall, chiseled, mysterious, unattainable, and LITERALLY GLISTENING Edward Cullen. There is a part of me that still holds on to the idea that my real life Edward Cullen is out there. But until I find him, I will forever be uplifted, in my darkest times (like the time i was briefly Team Jacob…like no), by the cheesiest but cutest words ever spoken by a fictional character: “No measure of time will be long enough, but we’ll start with forever” – Edward Cullen #heartthrob #manofmydreams #teamedward #jacobsucks

Top: 13-years-old and still rocking soccer shorts and a zip-up featuring Bella and Edward’s profiles. I made my father take this picture of me in front of the high school that Bella and Edward went to. #jealous?  

Bottom: 12-year-old me waiting to meet the cast of Twilight. Please note that my tote bag reads: You never know who you’ll meet in biology class (where Bella and Edward meet)

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.