New York Fashion Week Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

New York Fashion Week came and went, with a long list (nearly 100!) of designers who presented their Fall Ready-To-Wear collections. It was a blast following coverage of all the different shows. This NYFW featured newbies Skaist-Taylor of Juicy Couture fame, husband and wife team, Sachin and Babi and, Whitney Eve (designed by Whitney Port of “The Hills” and “The City” fame). There are too many collections to review, but here is a sampling of some of the most unique to walk the runway!

Skaist-Taylor

Juicy Couture co-founders Gela Nash-Taylor and Pamela Skaist-Levy left the line to start a new label, as a result of Liz Claiborne’s acquisition of the company. Style.com quotes that the line “is not going to appeal to hardcore fashion freaks,” which differentiates it from more artistic collections, but definitely makes the collection more wearable.

The parallels between Juicy Couture and Skaist-Taylor are apparent, but Skaist-Taylor looks like the classic Juicy Couture girl all grown upsansthe velour tracksuit. In particular, the military style jacket is reminiscent of past Juicy Couture collections. The use of fur accents, along with the paisley dress definitely give the stereotypical Juicy girl a more bohemian look. There is no doubt in my mind that Nash-Taylor and Skaist-Levy are going to find loyal clientele, and convince the prepsters to give the bohemian look a chance.

Honor
This NYFW was only Honor’s fifth collection. Designed by Giovanna Randall, it is definitely an emerging line, with celebrity fans including the Kardashian sisters. Fashionable Alexa Chung, Kristin Chenowethand young starlet Shailene Woodleysat front row at the show, with a collection that featured an array of geometric shapes. The Fall Collection differed from the Spring RTW collection in that it did not feature as many feminine pieces (think tea length flirty dresses à la Audrey Hepburn) and instead shifted more toward the masculine realm, with many of the models toting leather briefcases.

Ralph Lauren
Household name Ralph Lauren’s collection took a cue from early twentieth century men’s wear. Style.com compared the collection to the British film Downtown Abbey. Models donned tailored suits with an array of top hats, tailored suits, newsie boy hats, canes, plaids, blazers, ties, jackets and argyle socks (phew!). The collection might bring you back to your grandfather’s childhood, but the feminine-tailored fitof the clothes make it work!
[pagebreak]
Jason Wu
This designer has garnered attention with the launch of his Target line February fifth (which, like the Missoni collaboration, sold out in record time). However, the Fall ’12 collection differentiates itself from the flirty floral and striped sundresses found at Target. Models walked in stark high ponytails, heavy eyeliner and stilettos. Wu’s collection mainly featured a military-esque fervor, which was an overall hugetrend of this year’s NYFW. Models wore jackets with sharp shoulders in fall colors like burgundy with tailored pants. Also, a lot of leather, fur accents and peplum tops, all trends for Spring, too!

Marc Jacobs

This show was arguably one of the mostunexpected of NYFW. Models walked the runaway in overwhelming larger-than-life fur hatsthat seemed to come from a 1970’s nightmare. Models displayed shoes that looked like they were stolen from the feet of a “leprechaun,” wrote famous fashion blogger The Man Repeller. They were also a doppelganger of the pilgrims’ garb at the first Thanksgiving. The collection received mixed reviews abound.

Prabal Gurung
Everyone has been talking about thishot designer (pronounced “Prub-ble Ger-rung). The designer debuted with its first show in 2009, and recently landed a deal with Bergdorf Goodman, gaining press from celebrities like Zoe Saldana,who has worn his dresses on the red carpet. Lifestyle blogs Refinery29.com and Stylecaster.com called Prabal Gurung’s show “electrifying” and “futuristic,”an appropriate description for the metallics used in both the collection and makeup. The body-conscious dresses featured amazing cut-outs and textures. Loyal fan Saldana, stylist Brad Goreski (of “It’s a Brad, Brad World”) and model Coco Rocha sat in the front row.

J.Crew

Does J.Crew know no wrong? Since the appointment of Jenna Lyons to the Executive Creative Director role, hard-core fashionistas have paid a lot more attention to this mall-found line. It is no longer necessarily made for the stereotypical prepster, and has instead taken a more eclecticturn. Despite being a fall collection, J.Crew showcased spring-like colors from the entire color wheel, including an array of mixing and matching patterns. Classic J.Crew pants took an unexpected turn with fun prints.

What was the most exciting aspect of the show? The Manalo Blahnik collaboration!

Sources:
www.refinery29,.com
www.style.com
www.fashionista.com
www.sydnestyle.com
www.nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows
www.stylecaster.com

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn