My Experience as a Big

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

In my past 4 years here at Skidmore, I have tried to really involve myself in things other than just academics. As a freshman, I joined Skidmore’s Big Brothers Big Sisters Program. I never thought that joining a club could change my life so much. I took the club over, along with 2 other amazing ladies, and we more than doubled our club size. I have been matched with the same Little all 4 years. I have seen exponential growth in both my Little’s confidence and my own. He and I have both benefited greatly from this experience. 

Now, with graduation coming near, I am looking to work for a mentoring program. I never thought that by joining BBBS I would figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. But I found my passion of working with others in order to help them build their confidence and skills. Watching someone else grow and achieve and reach their dreams truly makes me happy. Without my Little, I can honestly say my life would be so much different, and not in a good way. He has shown me how to handle life with grace; even if things are rough, tricky or totally crazy, he is able to make it through it… and he’s only 11! He has taught me to not take things too seriously, life is short, and that even the smallest acts of compassion make a huge impact. 

If you want to make a difference in a child’s life, then you should join Big Brothers Big Sisters! The program meets twice a month, on campus from 12-3. The commitment is minimal, but the impact you have is HUGE! It really is crazy not only how much fun you have, but also how much you learn about yourself and people. Let your friends know about the program, too! The more, the merrier and we are always looking for more Bigs.

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.