MoneyMatters: Skidmore Seniors Create the Money-Saving Website “Skrounge”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Following in the footsteps of Mark Zuckerberg, Skidmore students Dan DeMartini ’11 and Jacques Ward ’11 have created a website just for Skidmore students. But get this: instead of mindlessly clicking through friends’ pictures, endlessly deleting Farmville requests, and poking people inappropriately, SKROUNGE offers so, so much more. Which brings me to the clincher question: What is Skrounge and why do we, here at MoneyMatters, care about telling our countless readers about it?

Skrounge has two faces:

1.    Offering deals on and off campus: The awesome thing about this is that it isn’t just a coupon; the site provides info regarding of where and when the deals are. Want to go out to dinner, but can’t afford to break the bank? Check out the “Hot Deal” or “Daily Deal” page, find your restaurant of choice, and go on the day of the deal. It is so difficult to figure out which restaurants are having deals and when: Skrounge solves that problem. The deals also include clothing store discounts (coupons) and other local vendors offering discounts.

2.    The “Skrounge Board”: This is similar to Craigslist, as it provides Skidmore students with a place to buy, sell, and trade with other Skidmore students. The Board also helps students to connect with one another in order to, for example, find a ride, or someone to share a storage locker with. Here you will also find announcements from campus organizations, so that you can keep on top of campus events. There’s even space for you to comment back and forth.

Here at MoneyMatters we are SO excited about Skrounge. It’s an impressive, multi-faceted site that offers so many money-saving opportunities! Bravo, my fellow Skidmorians, and thank you for providing us with such a worthwhile website to add to our daily Internet browsing addictions.

Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.