Local Ways to Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

By mid-October, you have classes figured out, assignments scheduled, and you cannot wait for Moorebid. But another important part of October is supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer has touched many of us, but for others, supporting these efforts is still a rewarding way to give back to women affected by breast cancer and the men who love them. Here are some local ways to get involved, and support the cause!

Watch Skidmore women’s volleyball. Every year the volleyball team supports the non-profit, “Dig Pink,” by raising funds for breast cancer victims and survivors during one of their games. The team will be accepting donations during their Oct. 16 match against Union, in addition to the October 26-27 Invitational Weekend. Remember to wear pink! For those who can’t attend, you can donate online here.

Shop! Many stores are selling items that benefit breast cancer research. Ann Taylor LOFT is selling a limited edition necklace designed by celebrity and breast cancer survivor, Giuliana Rancic. LOFT is also offering other items to benefit breast cancer awareness in addition to Giuliana’s necklace. Ann Taylor LOFT is located on 315 Broadway.
Local store, Clothesline (486 Broadway) will again be holding a special sale to benefit the Saratoga Hospital Women’s Imaging Center. A portion of all bra sales will be donated to the Imagine Center.

Walk. Sundays are often lazy days for collegiettes, so why not make a difference instead? The American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk will be held in Albany on Sunday, Oct. 21 in the Washington Park Parade Grounds (362 State Street) at noon. 

Go out on the town. For 21+ collegiettes, Paddock Bar and Lounge on Caroline Street will be hosting an event from 6-10 p.m. this Friday, Oct. 19, including live music. “Shop and Sip for Breast Cancer,” will also be in conjunction with several downtown Saratoga shops.

There are so many ways to support breast cancer awareness this month, so take advantage of the opportunities before they pass.

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.