Life Lessons from Westminster Dog Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

For those who chose to watch the president’s State of the Union Address over the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Tuesday night, we’ve got you covered. Though the cute faces, funny haircuts and happy tails were inevitably distracting, each canine finalist also provided fundamental life lessons. Here’s the HC breakdown of what each perfectly groomed competitor taught us.

Adam, Smooth Fox Terrier

Winner of the terrier group, Adam reminds us to take life with a balanced approach. His half-black, half-white face is the perfect harmony of yin and yang, which of course is at play in every collegiette’s agenda. Getting through college is in itself a balancing act: the balance of work and fun, of two friend’s opinions, or even of your many roles on campus. When life feels out of whack, just remember this sweet face and keep all aspects of your life in equilibrium.

Matisse, Portuguese Water Dog

For those of us who have had that, “oh my God what on earth have you done to my hair?!” moment in the salon, Matisse is an inspiration. After receiving a horrible hair cut the last thing most of us would want to do is perform in front of a crowd of thousands, yet Matisse pranced around regardless of his naked behind. The next time you have a bad hair day, just think of Matisse and remember all you need is self-confidence. If you act like a champion then that’s what people will pay attention to and remember—not the bad hair.

Jewel, American Foxhound

While Jewel may seem a bit of a plain Jane when compared with the other finalists for Best in Show, she teaches us that no matter the situation, you should never forget your roots. Jewel was up against some pretty fancy foreign dogs yet never once did she lose her cool. Jewel, a good ole’ American dog, did not try to be something she wasn’t. While we all love glitz and glamour, it is important to stay true to who you are. You don’t need designer labels or scandalous outfits to get noticed; it’s all about your attitude! Be proud of what Mother Nature gave you and flaunt it. As long as you feel comfortable in your own skin, you can rock a garbage bag and make it look like the hottest item from Comme des Garçons’ new spring line. 

Oakley, German Wirehaired Pointer

Going into the final round of competition Tuesday evening, Oakley was the number one show dog in the country. After the results were announced never did this noble face show anything but compassion for her fellow canines, Banana Joe and Swagger as they excitedly ran forward to claim their ribbons. Oakley reminds us to strive to remain above jealousy and show compassion to others. When your best friend starts dating that annoying guy in your econ class, the last thing you want to do is listen to her endlessly rattle on about him and then give advice when problems arise. Yet at times like these, remember how Oakley was there to support her fellow competitors. Rise above and be there for your friend.  

Honor, Bichon Frise

Always classy and a tad sassy, let us just say that Honor rocks a white coat like it’s nobody’s business. Honor reminds us that sometimes a girl’s gotta have a bit of attitude. So the fashion industry says you can’t wear white after Labor Day and that big hair is so 80’s, well to them we say Honor is killin’ it. Some days you just gotta strut your stuff, ignore the rules, and show people what you’re made of. There’s no need to pull a Naomi Campbell and turn into a monster, but there is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are. Honor reminds us that every now and then you just have to screw the rules and let your inner diva shine.

Swagger, Old English Sheepdog

Swagger was Reserve champion, though we believe he should have won the title (sorry, Banana Joe). Watching Swagger strut around the ring there was no denying the dog has style and refinement: traits of not only a top-of-the-line show dog, but also of a prospective partner. Swagger took everything in stride, a true emblem for how any top-notch guy should deal with pressure. At Skidmore, the female community is plagued by our unfortunate gender ratio and often, women settle for men way beneath them simply due to scarcity. Ladies, we urge you that before you bring that slightly unattractive, slightly obnoxious, overall gross guy home to ask yourselves this: Does this man meet the S.W.A.G.G.E.R criteria? Does he have Style, Wit, Affection, Grace, Gratitude, Elegance, and Refinement? If not then don’t bring him home. Simple as that.

Banana Joe, Affenpinscher

Banana Joe (full name Banana Joe V Tani Kazari) is not only this year’s 2013 Best in Show winner, but also the first Affenpinscher to win this coveted title at Westminster. Don’t let his small, fluffy exterior and jovial name fool you. This dog is an elite canine competitor with Tuesday night’s win marking his 86th Best in Show victory. Banana Joe reminds us that even the smallest among us can pack a mighty punch. When you feel small and insignificant just think of this friendly, black face and all that he has accomplished despite his tiny frame. With determination and a big smile you can accomplish anything your heart desires!

We all know man’s best friend provides endless life lessons, and these elite Westminster finalists are no different! Though pageants of beauty and poise tend to get a bad rep (um, thanks TLC), every collegiette can learn a thing or two from watching. And adding our favorite member of the family into the equation? That’s just a recipe for fabulous entertainment.

Emma Weinstein is a senior at Skidmore College majoring in Art History. She loves being a part of Her Campus Skidmore and has written articles throughout her four years. Emma is an avid equestrian and member of the Riding Team. Other hobbies include travel, cooking, and personal fitness.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.