Jess DeTorres: Nail Art Guru

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Jess DeTorres ’14

Her Campus: How long have you been doing nail designs?

Jess DeTorres: I started sophomore year of college, so a little over two years.

HC: What types of brushes, tools, etc. do you use in order to create your intricate designs?

JD: I buy the smallest brushes that I can find at the craft store and then use nail clippers to trim them down even further for extra fine details.  I also have dotting tools that I bought from eBay for very cheap, but toothpicks and bobby pins work just as well.

HC: How many different designs have you done?

JD: Lost count!  At least 100… I only started photographing and comping designs on my Instagram last summer, but started getting into nail art about two years ago.

HC: What’s your favorite nail polish brand?

JD: OPI, or Sally Hansen for a cheaper drugstore option.

HC: How long does a nail design usually last?

JD: My designs will last for up to about a week depending on how many dishes I wash.  I’ll sometimes paint a strengthening topcoat over the design every other night to help it last.

[pagebreak]

HC: Do you have any advice for Skidmore collegiettes who want to have healthy nails?

JD: Eating healthy is the best thing you can do for healthy nails.  OPI Nail Envy is a great strengthener that can also be used as a base coat.  I also recommend cuticle cream (my favorite is Burt’s Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter).  Finally, keep polish on at all times to prevent breakage.

HC: Where do you get your inspiration?

JD: Inspiration comes from life, holidays, Pinterest, and Instagram. When I was student teaching, I tried to connect my nails to the lessons I was doing with students.  That was the source for the monarch and map nails on my account.

HC: Do you have a favorite nail design that you’ve done?

The blue and white china nails I did over winter break are my favorite at this point!

HC: Where does the name of your Instagram come from?

My sweet little princess cat is named Zyra, so she’s the reason for the Instagram.

Follow Jess and her nails on Instagram: @zyranail. Which of Jess’ designs is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!