Innovative Housing: The New Scribner Village

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Didn’t make it to the presentation about the new Scribner Village? No worries—we’ve got you covered. Here’s a recap of the Dec. 4 presentation by QPK Design, the architects that designed Northwoods, Hillside, and new Scribner!

The Plan

The new Scribner Village will have seven buildings that each include eight four-bedroom apartments, plus a two-bedroom handicapped unit. They are designed as stacked townhouses. The lower unit will have two bedrooms on the first floor and two on the second floor, while the upper unit will have a common room on the second floor and all four bedrooms on the third floor—similar to Northwoods.

Exterior

Designed to blend in with the natural surroundings, the exterior will include textured bricks arranged in a pattern to mimic the surrounding trees. The buildings will have very sloped roofs to make them appear smaller—more like the original Scribner houses.

Interior Design

QPK Design recognizes that students would like a customizable space. They have chosen a neutral palette of colors and that they hope will provide a “background for what students want to bring in.” They are currently deciding between three furniture manufacturers, including two traditional styles and a more contemporary design. They are hoping to get student input before making the final decision—so keep your eyes peeled for a student poll! Unlike Hillside, new Scribner will have dishwashers and full-size beds.

Sustainability

Dedicated to sustainability, QPK Design has taken many measures to reduce their construction footprint, including reusing existing building pads, saving existing trees and adding new trees, reducing paving and improving pedestrian connections to campus. Additionally, the buildings themselves will be very environmentally friendly because they use geothermal heating/cooling, day lighting strategies, efficient lighting, and low flow fixtures to save water. Finally, the designers used many regional and recycled materials.

Projected Completion

Unfortunately, the completion of the project depends heavily on the winter. If we have a mild winter, QPK Design hopes to complete the new Scribner Village by August 2013, just in time for next Fall semester. However, if the predictions of a snowy season are accurate, the project will likely be delayed.

Love the new Scribner plans? Tell us in the comments!

Photos courtsey of Skidmore College.

Skidmore, class of 2015, Neuroscience major. Writer, runner, artist. Also loves skiing and crafts. And baking her famous biscotti. :)
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.