This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Recently I dyed my virgin hair from dark brown to blonde. 

The transition from high school to college was huge for me. When I started college, I decided that I wanted to start living my life to the fullest. I realized that I am the only person who gets to decide how my life turns out, and my decisions are what count. Since this summer, I’ve started trying new things that scare me, just to be able to say that I’ve experienced them. Since then, I have gone on spontaneous trips and to many concerts. My motto is now, “Say yes and send it.” I didn’t want this lifestyle to end with the summer. So, I kept making exciting, somewhat risky, and mostly temporary decisions. 

Throughout fall semester, I started wondering how I would look with blonde hair. I asked some friends if they thought I should go blonde. I even Photoshopped pictures of myself with blonde hair. I wanted to make this change just for fun, just to see what I would look like. I though, if worse came to worst, I could always dye it a fun color like blue before going back to my natural, brown hair. 

Most people advised me against dying my hair, saying that I look best with my brown hair. They said I was pale and blonde hair would wash me out. I knew that, if I dyed my hair, I may not look the best. But I definitely wanted to see what I would look like. In all honesty, the reservations that other people had made me want to do it even more. I was going to prove them all wrong, take the plunge, and dye it anyway. 

My first night home after fall semester, I got my second hold on my love pierced. For any normal person, this might not seem like a big deal. However, I am very indecisive and, until recently, stick to my comfort zone. While getting these second holes done, I had a little adrenaline rush. So, I decided to get third holes in both ears, as well as one in my nose, all in the same night. I felt like such an #edgy, #defiant teen (even though my parents knew what I was doing and didn’t care at all). 

After a few weeks with my new piercings, I was still high on my risk-taking. I decided I would dye my hair blonde until I had an interesting conversation with a friend. I was hanging out with my friend Izzy, whom I hadn’t asked yet about my blonde hair. She told me and my other friend that she wanted to go blonde. She knew that she might look bad, but she wanted to see for sure. Hearing her say out loud everything that I had been thinking made me feel as if I had been given a sign from the universe to just, as I would say over the summer, say yes and send it. Izzy and I then made appointments to get our hair dyed together. 

Five hours and $400 later, I was blonde. The best part was, I didn’t look that bad. I was happy with it for a few days, and then I hated it for a few days. A few days later, though, I loved it again. Ever since I dyed my hair, I have felt a mixture of love and hate for it. I’m going to keep my hair blonde for now, but I know that once I dye my hair back to brown, I will never go blonde again. I can say, however, that I’m not mad that I did it. I don’t regret it at all. I know now that my brown hair suits me best, and I have a great, fun story to tell. 

Daisy Fey

Skidmore '22

Hey everyone! I'm Daisy and I'm a graduating senior at Skidmore College this year! I'm currently the Campus Coordinator for the Skidmore chapter of HER Campus. I love writing opinion pieces, how to's, and making playlists. Thanks for checking out my page!