How To Know Its Almost the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

As I’m writing this article, I must note that I’m listening to my “Christmas” Spotify playlist. Once Halloween wraps up, all of America fasts forwards straight through Thanksgiving. Haven’t you noticed that? Halloween lasts all October. Thanksgiving lasts one day. And once it’s over the race to Christmas is on – the Christmas jingles begin and decorations everywhere. 

Department stores live in the middle. Even though the symbolic turkeys are present they’re being backed up by Mariah Carey’s, “All I Want for Christmas is You.” Originally, you came in to get a long sleeve thermal. What ended up happening? You left with presents for your entire family even before the Black Friday sales. You just could not help yourself.

Town centers hang their wreaths up before Thanksgiving. When you go home for Thanksgiving break, your hometown is already in the spirit of Christmas. In addition to your towns, plenty of others have already hung up their twinkle lights – or they’ve just turned them on now. Some people never take their lights off.

Starbucks’ everywhere breakout their famous seasonal red cups before Black Friday. Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter fill up with red cups and the seasonal blends they encompass. Everyone rushes to either proclaim their individual holiday spirit or proclaim their annoyance regarding that the season has started too early via social media.

Radio stations start blaring Christmas classics in order to get into the spirit. You try to switch the station, but those holiday tunes are just too catchy and cheery, so instead you sing along, despite any previous form of resistance.

As soon as December begins, so does ABC Family’s, “25 Days of Christmas” movie countdown. Wait, that’s not right – ABC Family also has a movie countdown to their “25 Days of Christmas” marathon. Every Christmas classic gets a slot of airtime at least one night. When your show isn’t on or there’s nothing else on TV, you can always count on ABC Family during cold December nights – and even those late November nights too. And admit it, you do.    

Christmas slowly creeps its way into Thanksgiving, and once your attention is shifted to Black Friday- all we think about is Christmas. While, Thanksgiving really only does last one day. Like Halloween, Christmas demands a month of celebration. 

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.