High School to College: Transitioning your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

So it’s your first semester at college, and you’re not quite sure how to prep for winter at Skidmore. Well, luckily for you, Her Campus has made a list of the top five necessary accessories to transition your high school clothes into a Skidmore-friendly wardrobe. Besides, you know that extra large closet needs a little filling!

Invest in a Good Pair of Boots
Upstate New York means cold weather and snow! You can count on snow anywhere from October to April. Sure, water-resistant, snow-friendly boots are expensive, but isn’t it worth spending your summer paycheck on something that you will use all the time and make your life that much easier? Keep an eye on tall boots for fashion-friendly picks or L.L. Bean “Bean Boots” for a super practical, but Skidfriendly option. Zappos.com and Piperlime.com both offer free shipping and returns.

Comfy, Cozy Socks

It sounds silly, but we’re obsessed with cozy socks here. Plus, you need something to slip into those boots, right? These cozy little things will keep you warm during Scribner Seminar readings in the library, where, yes, you will kick off those boots! Check out a Her Campus favorite, Lucia Boutique downtown in the Saratoga Marketplace for a massive selection! In addition to socks, Lucia offers some envy-worthy jewelry.

5-Minute Make Up
Depending on where you went to high school, make up may not have been a necessity. Going to college marks a new chapter in your life. You are growing up, and you may find that a lot of your peers wear make up on daily basis. You do not need a dramatic cat eye for class (in fact, please don’t), but play around with different beauty products to find what works best for your daily routine. Essentials may include primer, concealer, mascara, eyeliner, lip gloss, and some blush.

Chunky Sweaters

Good news: your high school and summer outfits can work for school. Why break the bank when you can transition with a Skidapproved chunky sweater? Button-down or crew neck, chunky sweaters are big here. Throw them over an easy sundress and pair with those new boots (and possibly leggings when it’s colder) for the perfect campus look. Check out the thrift stores downtown, or your mom’s collection of 80’s sweaters for great finds! This pick comes from ebay.

A Cute Evening Bag
A bag is necessary to carry your phone, wallet and Skidcard when you go out, and crossbody bags are the easiest option, since they allow you to keep your hands free! Skidmore essential shopping spot, Piper Boutique on Broadway offers a variety of handbags at reasonable prices. While you’re there, check out their adorable blazers, perfect to slip over your outfit for a classier night out.

Winter is around the corner, whether you like it or not. So be prepared with these essentials to keep you warm and cute all semester long!

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.