This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Gift giving can be one of the most challenging parts of the holiday season. Whether you are buying for the person who has everything or just want to give something that will make both you and the recipient feel good, we found some perfect gifts. Go beyond the commercialization of the holidays this year and help those in need with these gifts that give back.

One for One

Toms

For every pair of shoes you purchase, a pair will be given to a child in need (starts at $40). For every pair of glasses you purchase, Toms will give sight to someone in need (starts at $88).

Roma Boots

Roma will give a brand new pair of rain boots to a child in need for every pair purchased (starts at $37.80).

Blanket Statements

For each blanket you buy, one will be donated to a women’s shelter (starts at $22).

Out of Print

For every purchase of a t-shirt featuring an out-of-print book cover, a book will be donated to Books For Africa ($28 for adult sizes).

FIGS Ties

For every tie sold, a child in East Africa receives a school uniform, enabling him or her to attend school (starts at $65 for full length ties).

Food and Health

Heifer International

By purchasing an animal to give, you can make a difference in the lives of families in need by providing food, a reliable source of income, education in farming, and more (prices vary by animal and start at just $10).

Links of London

By purchasing a feed bracelet, you can help give water and meals to those in distressed areas, from HIV/AIDS epidemics or natural disasters ($125).

FEED Projects

For each item you purchase, multiple meals will be provided to those in need (items start at $10).

Other Causes

The Giving Keys

This organization employs individuals transitioning out of homelessness to engrave recycled keys with powerful messages. If and when the wearer of the key finds someone who could use the words of encouragement, the key is passed on.  Wearers then post their inspirational stories online for all to enjoy (keys start at $30).

gorjana & griffin

The pieces in this jewelry collection benefit The Humane Society, The Make a Wish Foundation, Breast Cancer Connections, and other charities (starts at $40).

Michelle Smith for Milly and Brooklyn Decker

One hundred percent of the proceeds from these ornaments are donated to the Child Mind Institute, which aims to change mental health care for children worldwide ($40).

These are just a few gift options that can truly make a difference in the world.  Also, don’t forget that you can always give a direct donation to a charity of your choice or spend time with someone special volunteering somewhere meaningful.  Happy holidays and remember it‘s better to give than to receive!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.