Anna Schultz-Converse And Timbs Gas Station
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Foods You Didn’t Know You Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Food: the timeless necessity that we cherish, indulge in, and often fantasize about. While categories of these edible goods are everlasting, the trends within the snack world are constantly changing. Snacks are the edible equivalent of fast fashion in the clothing industry. However, the beloved treats that we grew up on are now just distant memories.  Some of these have us wondering: were they ever even real, or were they just a fever dream all along? Here’s a little list of some snacks to take you on a trip down memory lane. 

1. Dibs 

The portable, shareable, bite-sized treats that had ice cream eaters everywhere on the edge of their seats. Dibs were definitely fun while they lasted.  Unfortunately, it was quickly realized that although they can be held in your hand, they can just as easily melt in your hand. Dibs, it was nice knowing you!

2. Frosted Animal Crackers

Two words: snack time.  Everyone whips out their Frosted Animal Crackers and immediately reenacts a scene from the Lion King. You smile and say cheers as you and your best friend eat pink sprinkle covered giraffes. What a time to be alive!

3. Yogos

Yes! Finally, you could eat yogurt that actually tasted good! Wait, you’re telling me these were actually fruit snacks covered in yogurt? I guess that makes sense now because they weren’t refrigerated… Wait, so was I even eating yogurt?  Probably not, but I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.  We miss you, Yogos. :(

4. Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal

You say to your 1st grade teacher, “Dinosaurs are extinct? Wanna bet? I hatched 5 of them this morning!”  DINOSAUR EGG OATMEAL. These were a personal favorite and are one of the snacks that has changed my life. Forget the oatmeal, we were all just waiting for a deliciously sweet baby dinosaur to hatch in our mouths. Each morning, we weren’t just breakfast eaters, we were archaeologists.        

5. Funyuns

Ok so now that I think about it, “Onion Flavored Rings” don’t actually sound that appetizing… but any Funyun eater knows that these were all the rage for a good reason. However, you probably stopped bringing these to school in your lunch box once you were a little older when you realized that onion breath was NOT all the rage. Maybe you still did bring them despite the onion breath. After all, true fans will stop at nothing.

6. Kid Cuisine

I didn’t know what a “TV dinner” was, but I knew I needed it in my life. Chicken nuggs, corn off the cob, creamy mac and cheese, and some random pudding? Yup. Sign me up! Heating that random pudding up? Love it. All of the “important” food groups were right in front of you, and there was nothing green. See mom, I told you I didn’t need broccoli! What could have been better?  

These were simpler and tastier times. Bon Appétit <3

xoxo, 

Yazzy

Yazzy Goodman

Skidmore '22

Yazzy is a sophomore at Skidmore College. She lives for velour Juicy Couture track suits and flowy pants, and loves writting about a wide range of topics! Xoxo.
Daisy Fey

Skidmore '22

Hey everyone! I'm Daisy and I'm a graduating senior at Skidmore College this year! I'm currently the Campus Coordinator for the Skidmore chapter of HER Campus. I love writing opinion pieces, how to's, and making playlists. Thanks for checking out my page!