Five Signs You Are From Boston But Go to School in New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

1. Every Super Bowl at college is rough for you.

My freshman year was last year, when everybody thought the Pats would lose, and then at the end they pulled through. I do not know much about football, but the day after, people who saw me smiling rolled their eyes, and said something along the lines of, “Yeah, I know. Don’t talk to me.” It’s tough on the Boston sports fans, but it is harder on the losing teams, so I guess it is fair.

2. Staples of your childhood are foreign to your non-Bostonian friends.

Every time you say, “How you like them apples?” or mention a town that nobody else can even process pronouncing (i.e. Gloucester), there is a little something in your heart for your friends back home.

3. The transportation here makes absolutely no sense.

This one is more for those of us who go to school not in New York City, but the public transportation here is so confusing. I have to ask the bus driver almost every time which way he/she is driving. We definitely need a form of the T (our subway) here.

4. Nobody understands what you are saying half of the time.

“Would you like some jimmies in your frappe?” “It’s wicked good, but honestly right now I could go for some Dunks.” Understand? Exactly.**to my friends, no, this is not just a “disability thing.”

5. You wish you could go out with your friends to candlepin.

Candlepin bowling is a staple of Massachusetts, especially for those of us with small hands. Alas, it does not exist up here.

Hang in there, guys.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore