Eliza Hollister ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Eliza Hollister
Major: Environmental Studies
Class Year: 2015
Hometown: Colrain, MA

Her Campus: How did you get involved with the garden?
Eliza: I started volunteering with the garden sparsely when I was a first year student at Skidmore to get some time outdoors and be around plants and gardening. Two summers ago I worked with Sustainable Skidmore as a North Woods Steward, where I helped out at the former garden space for a few hours per week. After that I decided to continue involvement with the garden and applied to be the manager!

HC: What is your favorite thing about working in the garden?
Eliza: What I liked most about working in the garden was sharing the space with the people passing by and with classes and groups that visited for lessons and tours. I found that most people were grateful to have the experience of gardening at Skidmore, and I’m glad to have been a part of that. 
HC: What has the move to the Wiecking Green done for the success of the garden?
Eliza: The move to Wiecking Green was perhaps the best thing that could have happened to the garden. The move enabled the garden to become visible to many more people on a regular basis, giving anyone who walks by frequently the opportunity to see the progress of the plants. The new location has absolutely sparked new interest and positive feedback!

HC: Are there any great garden plans for this spring?
Eliza: Starting in late February/early March, we will start seeding plants indoors. After that, things will start getting planted and transplanted as soon as the snow melts. And a few veggies such as carrots and parsnips that have wintered over will also be harvested as soon as we can get to them through the snow.

HC: How can people get involved with the garden?
Eliza: Since this is the beginning of a new season, we also have a new manager! Brian Fredericks ’16 is the new manager for the ’15-’16 season. If you’d like to be added to the email list to get updates about meetings, events, and volunteering, email skidmorecommunitygarden@skidmore.edu
Ileana is a senior at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York. She lives in Eugene, Oregon when not at school. Ileana is studying Sociology and English. She loves writing, decorating clothing, and spending time with friends. You can also check out her personal blog at http://sometimesiweartiaras.wordpress.com/. Thanks for reading!