Eight Ways to Make Skidmore Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

You found out that you’d been accepted to Skidmore, woo hoo! If you’re like me at all, you probably spent a lot of senior year looking at dorm rooms. But don’t waste your time looking at YouTube videos that want you to spend a million dollars. I’ve come up with some essentials that can make your room homey and aesthetic without breaking the bank!

Now for the good stuff: The essentials!

Firefly lights

They are your best friend when decorating your room; They’re very simple and lightweight. In my opinion, they look better than normal Christmas lights but give the same effect. Amazon is a great place to get them.

Throw blanket

Whether it’s on your bed or on your window seat, a throw blanket is a great accent to any room. Don’t be afraid to be use unconventional colors when buying throws!

Decor Pillows

Fill up your bed with pillows! It makes it look ten times comfier. Choose from cool drawings, textures, and sizes.

Rugs

Rugs complement any space. A common one, which I chose for my room, was a furry white rug. With all types of crazy patterns there are so many to choose from! As weird as it sounds, you can show your personality/personal taste through your rug choice.

LIGHTS, LIGHTS, LIGHTS!

This is especially important for rooms in Skidmore’s south quad. We all know that the light in these rooms is nowhere near bright. Investing in a floor lamp or a clip-on lamp will be worth every penny. As for cool looking lights, try a Philips Hue color ambiance light, LED strip lights, or black lights. Instantly cool!

Mirror

Mirrors don’t have to be fancy, but a these are an absolute room essential. Bonus: they’re a great place to choose outfits and take pictures!

Posters

Posters are a great way to fill up some empty space on a wall. Get some of your favorite band, musical, or just anything!

Plants

Plants make a room much more inviting. My favorite is aloe because its gel can be used on your skin! Don’t worry – If real plants are too much of a hassle, artificial ones are great too!

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore