This week I went apple picking with two of my housemates, and it was all fun and games – until we really sat down and thought about what we were doing. The apple orchard we chose requires that each person entering the orchard purchase at least a peck of apples, and a peck equals about 32 apples, meaning that, combined, the three of us took home over 90 apples.
Current state: drowning in apples. And I’m already sick of eating them plain.
Before I start to go crazy and throw apples through a window, my housemate and I decided to sit down and think about all the possible things we could do with our 90+ apples. Here’s our top ten, just in case you ever find yourself sitting on the floor surrounded by 90 apples. This kind of sounds like a horror movie. Happy Halloween.
- Make an apple pie, obviously! (No shame in a store bought crust)
- An apple crisp is even easier than an apple pie.
- Go bobbing for apples! I feel like this activity was in every Halloween episode of every TV show I watched as a child, but I’ve never met a person who’s actually done it. No better time to try than now.
- Make some apple cider! (You can make it hard, too, if you’re 21+)
- Easiest thing to do: make applesauce.
- Have a peanut butter apple sandwich. Practically no effort is involved, but still more exciting than an apple on its own.
- Make an apple cinnamon cake/bread.
- Make apple pancakes, which are objectively better than banana pancakes. Jack Johnson can take me up on that.
- A Halloween classic: the caramel apple
- Just eat them. @ myself: suck it up, they’re good for you.