Dhall Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

When you go on a tour of Skidmore, one of the main talking points is always the quality of the food in the dining hall. 

Granted, when you first get here, the food really is that good. From what I’m told, compared to other schools, Skidmore’s dining hall is like a five-star restaurant, and I usually have no complaints. However, once you get to second semester sophomore year, the options can get a little repetitive. There are a few solutions for this problem, some of which require a little money and a few that are simpler than you’d think!

1. Make eggs!

This is my go-to solution when the food in the dining hall isn’t good on any given day. The best thing about this solution is that it works for any meal! Eggs are a great breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and you can change them up by adding cheese, vegetables, or even rice to make a stir fry!

2. Order take-out

I don’t do this one very often because like most of us I am a broke college student, but every once in a while it is a nice change to get some delicious take-out food and not have to leave your dorm. My favorites are Thai or Chinese, but pizza is always a classic.

3. Try something new!

I know that I am used to getting nearly the same thing every time I go to the dining hall, and often pass over things that I haven’t tried before. This leads to me getting sick of the same chicken, salad, and fries, nearly every day, but it doesn’t have to be this way. There are so many other foods that I pass over without even giving a chance, and whenever I try something new it usually turns out to be better than I expected!

4. Combine different foods to make your own creation

Do a lap around the dining hall and scope out the options, and then make it your mission to create a delicious new combination of things from different stations. Olives from the antipasto bar by pasta, chicken from diner, hummus from Emily’s- there are so many foods that go together but are in completely different areas and you can essentially make your own meal!

5. Pretty much anything on the flat-top

The flat-top is one of the most underrated parts of the dining hall. There are so many options that can be made here if you have the time. As I mentioned before, eggs are a fan favorite, but you can also make grilled cheese, quesadillas, fried rice, so many delicious options for when nothing else looks good.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore