The Best Saratoga Boutiques You Didn’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

There is no doubt about it, folks; we are in the midst of a true Saratoga winter, the kind that we were never fully warned about when touring Skidmore. While this cold, snowy season gave us a glorious snow day last week, this gray, dreary weather can also cause a serious bout of seasonal depression. While some professionals may recommend adding some brighter lights to our living space, or wearing cheery colors in order to cure our winter blues, I have found that there is another alternative which is guaranteed to add a little happiness to any wintry afternoon: retail therapy.
Saratoga may seem pretty sleepy and sparse during the winter, but in reality, we are extremely lucky to have a town with many lively shopping resources.  Here are a few of our picks for the best shopping spots for you to splurge on just when yet another snowstorm bogs you down:

•    Lucia (454 Broadway)- Without a doubt, this shop is a favorite. While the tops and bags can be somewhat expensive on the rack, there are often many spectacular sales of which you can take advantage. The jewelry and accessories, however, are what really draws Skidmore females. A selection of earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and scarves can range from fifteen to thirty five dollars and vary between fancy and casual, everyday wear. The staff is friendly and helpful and shopping there is always enjoyable. If you need a way belated holiday gift for your roommate or a place to drop hints to your boyfriend/any other form of significant other for the big V-day, you cannot go wrong with Lucia.

•    Red Wolf (15 Spring St.)- Recommended by one Her Campus staffer, Red Wolf is one of the newest additions to the downtown-shopping scene. Although I was warned it was a bit “Mom-ish,” Red Wolf that can

peak the interest of anybody looking for something one of a kind and a little eccentric. Opened in the spring of 2010, the Spring Street store has been renovated from a former beloved bar, keeping the same look and feeling of old Saratoga. While most things offered in this store are above an average college student budget, the selection is impressive and truly interesting, like beautiful handbags made from materials such as old truck tarps. They sell beautiful cashmere sweaters, distinctive boots, jewelry, as well as local, handmade soaps, pottery, and candles. If you’re looking for an item that will impress even the most hardcore Skidmore fashionistas, then take the time to check out the Red Wolf.

•    The Clothes Line (486 Broadway)- On a particularly cold day, I recommend you head straight to the Clothes Line, which houses one of the most extensive selections of swimsuit and seasonal wear in town. Yes, I know the temperatures outside are sub-arctic, but who couldn’t use a taste of summer?  Thousands of brightly

colored items, including dresses of all styles on sale, lightweight scarves, and fun jewelry, “line” this boutique. They have an immense affordable selection of designer swimwear and lingerie, as well as sundresses, yoga attire, beach bags, and sandals. Also, they do professional alterations on site at all times! With the bright colors and warm attention from the staff, the Clothes Line offers a slice of summer cheer while escaping the winter dread.

•    Pangea (454 Broadway)- This store is my all-time favorite destination. Located in the same complex as Lucia, Pangea has a wide variety of one-of-a-kind items that are great for small gifts for the parents or something to spice up your room décor. They have handmade decorated drinking glasses each depicting different states and countries, beautiful flower decals that can easily be hung and removed from your wall, a delectable music selection, special coffee-table books, and gorgeous hanging lights and lanterns, to name some select items. The prices are surprisingly moderate; you’ll have trouble going in without making a purchase.

•    Soave Faire (449 Broadway)- Known as Saratoga’s best art supply shop, Soave Faire is only minimally known for its random, small, rather cheap options for hilarious gifts for friends. As the birthday of one of my closest friends from home approached last spring, I wanted to send her a package full of things that would ease the fact we couldn’t celebrate together. I stepped into Soave Faire and was overwhelmed with gift possibilities that I knew would elicit some laughs. I found things such as an extendable spoon, a hilarious hat, a henna tattoo book, pigs covered in hearts that grow together in water, and cupcake flavored dinner mints. All random, I know, but what makes a birthday gift better? They also have a fantastic selection of cards for every occasion and Saratoga-themed gifts to satisfy the gifts for all the relatives who ask “What is it like going to school in Saratoga?” They also have impressive deals on posters of anything you could possibly imagine for as little as two dollars. Not only is a trip to Soave Faire fun for you, but also you’re sure to find something fun for whomever you’re buying for.

•    Yellow Boutique (491 Broadway)- Another new shop on the Broadway strip, Yellow has been described as the store for “any Sex and the City fanatic,” and is the definition of girly-chic. The store is stocked with the newest yoga attire, moderately priced jeans, and flirty, fun dresses when you’re in the mood to glam up your wardrobe. The high heels are what make Yellow irresistible; seriously, the selection will leave you drooling. In an effort to keep prices down at Yellow, the owner, Emily Davis, has chosen to carry many non-branded items, so you’re sure to find something unique. Davis also carries an incredible selection of locally-made accessories, handbags, knitted winter hats (a Skidmore student essential), and gloves.

•    Magic Moon (15 Phila St.)- if you’re feeling in a hippy mood, check out Magic Moon on Phila Street (after quenching your Ravenous crepe craving of course). As a person who owns far too many scarves, I simply cannot seem to stop myself from purchasing more, and I love the beautiful selection at this store. Also, a close friend

purchased colorful decorative lights to hang in her room that are made from real flower petals. They have an immense selection of unique silver jewelry for incredible prices. They also carry handmade embroidered clothing, incense, candles, room decorations, and even fun bumper stickers. I can’t even begin to do the Magic Moon justice; you will not be disappointed, I promise!

Other top contenders:
    •    Violet’s- A Saratogian institution that is perfect for when Mom comes to visit and is willing to shell out a few extra bucks because she misses you so much.
    •    Saratoga Shoe Depot- A huge store with a large home décor selection, plus great shoes and gifts for Mom when you’re in a pinch.
    •    Rockabella- it’s hard to miss the flashy front display window right in the middle of Broadway, but it’s great for a weekend outfit (“sloutfit”), but beware of some of the overpriced items.
    •    Aggie’s- Right next to Lucia and a great pick when you’re dying to spend your recent paycheck on a cute top.
    •    Frivolous- Appears to be geared towards the older woman, but a great selection of designer clothes and lingerie and a fun makeup selection.
    •    Lyrical Ballad- A book store which requires a little searching through its overwhelming selection but you’re sure to find something for Dad within the stacks.
    •    Silverado- You’re sure to find a fantastic, unique piece of jewelry that will last forever (and not steal too much cash out of the wallet!).

Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.