Best Booths at the Saratoga Farmers Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

After hearing great things about the Saratoga Farmers Market I had extremely high expectations before my first visit. To be honest, I was also a bit skeptical. People I know who are familiar with the vendors who regularly ply their wares couldn’t stop “ooohing and ahhing” about how delicious everything is. “How special could it be?” I thought to myself. “It’s fruits, vegetables, and some homemade stuff.” Well, this past Saturday I finally had a chance to go and I’m happy to add my own “oohs and ahhs.” The Saratoga Farmers Market is even more fabulous than I could have imagined. 

The weather was perfect as my friends and I walked into town. We were all reasonably excited at the thought of being around fresh produce and flowers after eating in the Skidmore dining hall all week. When we arrived we saw the cutest 11- week old Bernese Mountain dog. Obviously, we had to stop and play with it since we were all experiencing dog withdrawal after being away from our pets back home for so long. The day was off to a great start! 

As I walked through the many stalls, I was overwhelmed with the sheer beauty of all of the fruits, vegetables, homemade baked goods, and flowers. There were tomatoes the size of my face and the most gorgeous looking apples everywhere I turned. All the people who worked there were so friendly and excited about the products they were selling, which gave the whole place a fun and relaxed vibe. Everything didn’t just look good, as whatever I tasted was absolutely delicious. But enough “oohing and ahhing.”

Here are some highlights….

Saratoga Peanut Butter Company

As a huge fan of peanut butter, I obviously had to make my first stop at the Saratoga Peanut Butter Company. The woman working at the stand was extremely passionate about her nut butters, and let me try a variety of flavors such as their dark chocolate peanut butter and their creamy almond butter. Eventually, I decided to get the classic creamy peanut butter, which will most likely be my breakfast for the next few weeks. 

Laurie’s Jams and Jellies 

Even though I am not a huge fan of jams and jellies I heard from a friend that Laurie’s Jams and Jellies was worth trying. I was able to sample their white grape jam on a cracker and it was amazingly tasty. Although I didn’t buy anything from them (I’m a student trying to be on a budget) I will definitely be going back to try more flavors and make some purchases. All their products are packaged in adorable jars and would make fantastic gifts. 

Rock Hill Bakehouse 

I was lured into the Rock Hill Bakehouse by the incredible smell coming from their tent. All of their bread products have no preservatives, eggs, oil, or milk. The smell of their cinnamon raisin bread was just too good that I had to buy a loaf. I can’t wait to eat it with my new peanut butter! 

Burger’s Market Garden 

My last stop was Burger’s Market Garden where I purchased a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers in a mason jar. The flowers smell wonderful and are a great way to brighten up a dorm room.  They also had delectable looking tomatoes and peppers, which I hope to try next time I’m there. “Ooh,” “Ahh” I can’t wait. 

Outdoor Market Hours (May-October)

Wednesdays 3:00pm – 6:00pm

Saturdays 9:00am – 1:00pm

High Rock Park Pavilions

105 High Rock Avenue

Saratoga Springs, NY 12866