The Best and Worst of Chowderfest 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

This weekend was Chowderfest 2013, one of the best Saratoga events of the year. If you didn’t have a chance to head over but have been wondering what went down (or are prepping for next year), never fear – I have the recap of the good, the bad, and the yummy.  

The Best

Wheatfield’s – This classic New England chowder was full of tangy flavor that was even a little sweet and absolutely- delicious. It was even topped with season oyster crackers—the winner in my book.

Hattie’s – This soup was creamy and Cajun with a full-bodied mix of flavors. Creative and delish!

Seven Horse Pub – This was last year’s winner, and they certainly brought it again this year with a southern comfort-inspired chowder that even had cornbread on top.

The Riskiest

Sperry’s – This certainly wasn’t everyone’s taste, but if you like curry and Indian spices then you loved this unexpected chowder. Brownie points for mixing things up!

The Safest

American Culinary Foundation – This was a good first start to the day but somewhat soupy and uninspired. The tortilla chip on top was a nice touch, but the rest was pretty basic.

Phila Fusion – My favorite restaurant was serving some of their yummiest dishes, like hot and sour soup and Pho chicken. However, the dishes were right off of their normal menu, with no actual chowder in sight.

Maestro’s – This was smooth and creamy but very generic and with no distinct flavors. Good try, but not a winner.

The Biggest Disappointments

Max London’s – This tomato-based chowder was very oily and packed with strange seafood. It had a bit of a kick, but that couldn’t make up for the unpleasant flavor.

Druthers – I was expecting a lot from this up-and-coming restaurant, and they let me down big time. The soup was fishy, awkward, and practically inedible. They should probably just stick to their mac-and-cheese.

Highlight of the Day

Bettie’s Cupcakes – This cupcake haven is not only delicious, but as I learned yesterday, it’s also nut-free! Biggest thrill of the day for me and my allergies!

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.