I’m the kind of person who is constantly looking for ways to improve my mind, body, and spirit with all-natural methods. Essential oils are one of nature’s purest forms of wellness, revered for centuries for their ability to improve physical, emotional, and psychological well-being. Read on to learn more about the health benefits of some of our favorite oils and how you can incorporate them into your daily care routine!
- Jojoba oil. Jojoba is the perfect “carrier” oil—meaning that it can be added to any essential oil that comes into contact with skin. This essential oil is a brilliant remedy for dry skin. I like to apply it as soon as I get out of the shower so it absorbs as quickly as possible. It can also be used to unclog pores, and works wonders as an eye makeup remover. (It’s the only product I know of that has the ability to completely take off my waterproof eyeliner!) Combine one tablespoon with four drops of lavender and two drops of eucalyptus and massage into sore muscles for instant relief.
- Oregano. Oregano oil contains strong immune-enhancing and antioxidant properties. To use it, combine 2 drops into 4 drops of a carrier oil such as Jojoba, and massage it into the bottoms of your feet (did you know this is where your body’s largest pores are found?). This can help fight bacterial and viral infections as well as provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support. It’s also a powerful respiratory relief—as you will probably gather from its potent smell!
- Tea Tree. Tea tree oil is best known for is amazing skin benefits. To reduce dandruff and improve scalp health, try adding 4 to 5 drops into your shampoo. To reduce itching and promote skin healing, mix 4 drops of Jojoba with 2 drops tea tree and apply to any skin ailment. The same method can also be used for the treatment of acne; just use a Q-tip to apply the mixture to a blemish and hold it for a few seconds.
- Lemon. Lemon oil has a wide range of health benefits—it has the ability to reduce stress, fight infection, kill germs, remove household odors, and it’s also a powerful body detoxifier. To promote physical well-being, combine 4 drops of jojoba oil with 2 drops of lemon oil and massage into the bottoms of the feet. Apply a few drops to smelly cutting boards in the kitchen or to the toilet paper roll in the bathroom for instant freshness. To use it as a diffuser, bring water to a boil, remove from heat, and add one or two drops.
- Lavender. Lavender oil is probably best known for its relaxation properties, but it can also be used to relieve pain and increase the suppleness of the skin. For headache or stress relief, combine it with 1 to 2 drops of jojoba oil and apply to your temples or the bottoms of your feet. It can also be added to a bath with Epsom salts for extra relaxation. Apply 1 to 2 drops mixed with jojoba oil to painful burns and wounds, or massage it all over before bedtime for smoother, softer skin.
- Frankincense. Frankincense oil can be used to support the immune system, promote skin healing, and relieve pain. For coughs, colds, and other infections, add 1 to 2 drops to jojoba oil and massage onto your chest, neck, and behind your ears. This same mixture can be used to fade scars, help heal bug bites or stings, and relieve the pain of bruises or cuts.