Ask A Skid Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

For all the prospective students who are interested in Skidmore, we wanted to put together the reasons why we all decided on becoming a Skid Kid.

We asked around and compiled a list to answers that were given to “Why did YOU decide to come to Skidmore?”

“I decided to go to Skidmore because you can major in Business and Management- it is extremely rare to be able to major in Business at the undergraduate level.” -Olivia

“I chose Skidmore for the small class sizes, tight knit community, emphasis on interdisciplinary studies, and the amazing people!” -Delaney

“I chose to attend Skidmore College because I grew up visiting my grandmothers house in Vermont, and we would always visit the Tang. Growing up I became familiar with the campus and was always in awe of the motto Creative Thought Matters. I also very much enjoy the fact that SKidmore has extensive woods on campus, which allows for students to escape from society every once in a while.” -Samantha

I went here because of the good food and dining hall. Not only that but the town of Saratoga is amazing and just has a good feel to it. It’s also an option to go to the city for the weekend or go to Albany to the mall. I also chose Skidmore for the small size, which allows for the professors to really get to know you. The campus is also beautiful.. more in the spring and fall.” -May

“I chose Skidmore first and foremost because of the study abroad programs, the interesting anthropology staff and the location. However, when I walked on the campus for the first time, I felt an overwhelming sense of being at home.” -Victoria

“Coming from the west coast, I wanted an east coast liberal arts school.” – Avery

“It was close-ish to home and I Liked the campus.” -Anonymous 

“While I joke that it was the free D-hall cookies I got on the tour, it was the overwhelming kindness and care I felt in the students here that made me feel so naturally at home here, and made me apply.” -Suzan

“I really had no idea what type of school I wanted to go to- but when I visited Skidmore during the Discovery Tour I immediately  fell in love with the campus and the community. After looking at numerous colleges, Skidmore seemed to stand out to me the most.” -Emily

“Well initially I wanted to come here for the education program, so I applied and when I got accepted I came. But, then I took a psychology class and fell in love with the major. I am grateful for the liberal arts requirements, as I never would have thought about taking a psychology class, yet alone majoring in it.” -Maya

“I chose to go to Skidmore because I absolutely loved the town, and my brother (a Skid grad) had the best time!” -Sophia

“I chose Skidmore because I loved the people I met who went here and I wanted to wear Bean Boots and Barbour in the snow, so I obviously had to go east.” -Emma

“I loved that it was a liberal arts school with a business major. Also, the window seats!” -Daphne

“Funny story, actually, I visited my sister at her college when I was a sophomore in High School and to get into frats I had to say I was 18 and already in college. My sister told me to say Skidmore because I knew so many people there. So I did and now 3 years later, I;m here having a great time!” -Zoe

“When I visited, I knew it was my dream school. Everything about it felt comfortable, which is something I hadn’t experienced with other schools. I also loved the town.” -Ilie

“I chose Skidmore because it had a lot of opportunities to get involved in campus activities but was small enough that you could start your own.” -Billie

If you have any questions you would like to Ask A Skid Kid, please feel free to email us at skidmore@hercampus.com or message us directly through our Facebook account.

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.