9 Best DIY Dorm Decoration Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Want to add some personality to your dorm room? If last year’s décor is simply no longer speaking to you—or if your room still looks like you moved in last week—don’t worry; we’ve got you covered! Check out these easy, inexpensive and fun ways to spice up your space and show off your style.

Start With the Basics

There are a few items that have become dorm room staples at Skidmore, and for good reason! If you’re looking for fast and simple solutions to your dorm room dilemmas, turn to these top three Skidmore essentials.

The Tapestry

Tapestries are an easy way to cover up some of that dreary white wall space. From eBay finds that seem straight out of Woodstock to cute boho prints from Urban Outfitters, you’ll be able to find one that suits you. Try hanging your tapestry vertically on the wall behind the head of your bed to create an attention-grabbing makeshift headboard.

Christmas Lights

The best way create a peaceful atmosphere in your room is with basic white Christmas lights. Wrap a long strand around the entire ceiling of your room or pick a focal point (like a group of pictures on your wall or the area around your bed) and string them up. After a long and stressful day, there is nothing more relaxing than lying in bed listening your favorite music under twinkling lights.

A Photo Collage

Who doesn’t love displaying snapshots of favorite memories? A photo collage is a great way to decorate a dorm room wall. Instead of making a simple collage, add visual interest by pinning pictures up on your wall in an obvious shape, like a heart or a sun, or in one organized row that spans across all walls of your room.  

Get Crafty

The best way to make your dorm room all your own is to incorporate a bit of DIY flare. So pour yourself some hot apple cider and spend a chilly fall afternoon re-vamping your space.

Adorable Teacup Plant

Displaying small plants is a great way to bring nature into your dorm room, especially as we approach the colder and darker months of the year. But rather than using a basic flowerpot, how about a quirky and charming alternative—a teacup! All you need is a small flower or cactus and a cute teacup (like the one above from Anthropologie) to plant it in. Check out the blog “Life With Little Ones” for the details.

Dream Board

What could be a better way to decorate your walls than with everything that inspires you? You can hang a corkboard covered with a pretty patterned piece of fabric, or for a different vibe, use a cookie sheet as a magnet board and find some unique magnets. After you’ve created your board, pin up anything that reminds you to stick to your goals and follow your dreams, like photos of destinations you hope to travel to or quotes that motivate you.

Pretty Patterned (Faux) Candles

Take a look at the charming blog “Fellow Fellow” to learn how to make these sweet patterned candleholders. As explained in this BuzzFeed article, although candles aren’t allowed in the dorms, battery-powered tea lights can be placed inside the jars as an alternative. Make a few candleholders in different colors and patterns and scatter them around your room for maximum effect.

[pagebreak]

Work What You’ve Got

Even if you aren’t gifted in the world of DIY, you can still have unique dorm decorations! Without needing to get too crafty, you can try using items you already have in a new way.

Show Off Your Vinyl

If you’re someone with an expansive record collection, there is no better place to display the music you love than right on your walls. You can use removable poster adhesive strips to stick records directly to your wall, or try one of these other hanging methods.

Hide That Dorm Furniture

Camouflage boring wooden dorm furniture with a piece of colorful fabric. Simply find a piece of fabric—like a small tablecloth or tapestry—and drape it over the top surface of your bookshelf or dresser to create a look that is all your own.

Create a Magazine Collage

Want instant wallpaper? All you need is a magazine! Tear out photos and advertisements from your favorite magazines and create a collage on your wall.  The more area you cover, the higher the impact.

What’s your best DIY dorm decoration tip? Tell us in the comments!