8 Best Ice Cream Spots Near Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s finally warm out, which means that all the best ice cream spots are open! We made a list of our favorite seasonal and non-seasonal ice cream places in and around Saratoga. If you’re not staying for summer, or if you just want a fun study break snack, be sure to take advantage of these ice cream places before you leave!

Dairy Haus

“Dairy Haus is my favorite local ice cream place!” – Kaitlin ’14 

If you haven’t been to Dairy Haus, you are missing out.  This seasonal place is conveniently located on Maple Ave, and they make their own hard ice cream in a variety of flavors that change regularly. They also have a variety of dip flavors. 

Dairy Haus has new owners this year and they will be opening May 7th! Check out their new facebook page for updates.

Humpty Dumpty

“The coffee soft serve at Humpty Dumpty is absolutely delicious!” –  Vicky ’14

If you’re a fan of soft ice cream, this is the place for you!  Humpty Dumpty, located on West Ave. near the Amtrak station, has an assortment of soft ice cream flavors that come in perfectly-sized portions. You can check out the soft serve flavors they currently have on their facebook page, 

Farmer’s Daughter Drive-In

“The soft serve is thick and creamy – definitely worth the drive” – Michelle ’14

Farmer’s Daughter Drive-In is a bit of a drive since it’s located in Schuylerville.  However, if you’re a connoisseur of good ice cream, you have to check it out!  Farmer’s Daughter has very thick soft serve ice cream and a thorough assortment of homemade hard ice cream flavors. Farmer’s Daughter also serves food such as homemade french fries if you’re looking for something extra to go along with your ice cream. 

Stewart’s

“Stewart’s chocolate peanut butter ice cream – oh my god – the best ice cream in New York.” –Jess ‘14

Seeing as Skidmore is in upstate New York, there’s a Stewart’s on every corner.  Make sure you and your friends hit them up before finals are over! Stewart’s is a convenient choice, and we have to admit that we love the taste.  

Ben & Jerry’s

“Ben and Jerry’s has so many crazy flavors” – Kelly ‘14

Ben & Jerry’s is open all year long and has a ton of great flavors.  Ben Cohen, one of the co-creators of Ben and Jerry’s, actually attended Skidmore for a short period of time, too! Plus, their spot in town has fun face cutouts you can take pictures with and outdoor swing seats, so visiting it is a whole experience. 

Cold Stone Creamery

“Cold Stone is great! It’s not a local brand so it doesn’t have the same mom and pop ice cream stand kind of feel as others, but it’s convenient if you’re hangout on broadway or don’t have car. Plus you can essentially design your own flavors” –Kate ‘14

Just like Ben & Jerry’s, Cold Stone Creamery is open all year.  It’s located on Broadway, which makes it a convenient place to stop in if you’re already downtown, and it has a variety of yummy toppings and mix-ins. You can even pick up cakes there! 

Eugenio’s Café Gelato

“Eugenio’s is owned by nice people that are very friendly to Skidmore students.  It’s delicious and they are always changing their flavors!” –Ali ‘14

If you just came back from abroad and are missing the gelato, you should definitely try Eugenio’s Café Gelato.  This gelato place has a variety of great flavors and is located on Broadway, so there’s no reason to miss out.

D Hall

Feeling too lazy to leave campus?  There’s always the soft serve ice cream machine in the dining hall. The flavors are limited, but sometimes (especially during finals week), you can’t beat convenience.

Be sure to check out as many of these delicious spots as you can!