7 Ways to Stay Warm This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

February is the month that reminds us all we chose to go to school in upstate New York. It’s hard to get to class in weather like this, but we have a few suggestions for how to warm up—and stay warm.

1. Hot beverages

Some of us dyed-in-the-wool New Englanders drink iced coffee year round; maybe don’t do that. With temperatures below zero, give hot cocoa, hot tea, or hot coffee a shot. It just might warm you up.

2. Fleece leggings

Let’s face it: leggings are a staple part of any Skidmore girl’s wardrobe, but it is WAY too cold to wear the traditional thin leggings, so give fleece ones a try. (They are super cozy.)

3. Real outerwear

We know it’s hard, but save the haute couture for indoors. Stylish jackets tend not to be the warmest ones. Opt for practicality over fashion. Our suggestion? Puffy parkas with fur-lined hoods.

4. Blankets

Blankets are the best; it doesn’t matter what kind they are. Even Snuggies are acceptable for the quest to stay warm. We dare you to wear your Snuggie to D-hall… It is Skidmore, after all.

[pagebreak]

5. Soup

Hot liquids are a theme here, but rightfully so. Soup of any kind can help heat you up, so pick one to try and enjoy. Try the ramen they sell in Atrium!

6. Fully dry hair

Yes, it’s hard to dry your hair before you need to leave in the morning, but if you’re as sick of hair-sicles (frozen hair) as we are, either get up earlier (ouch) or shower at night so your hair is fully dry by the morning. You may miss a few more minutes of sleep, but it’s worth the trade-off.

7. Layering

There are loads of ways to layer fashionably, and sweaters look good over most shirt styles. If you wear layers you can stay warm outdoors and still be comfortable in the wildly varied classroom temperatures. (Thanks a lot, Skidmore.) Our favorite layering trick? Tights under pants! (Trust us, no one will know.)

What’s your favorite way to stay warm? Hit the comments below to tell us.

Liz Estey

Skidmore

Liz is a junior at Skidmore College. She is an English major and and an avid French horn player. In addition to academics she is Vice President of Active Minds at Skidmore (part of a national organization committed to raising awareness and decreasing stigma around mental health). When she's not trying to do ten things at once you can find her trolling BuzzFeed or watching Netflix, and occasionally doing both simultaneously.