7 Ways to Enjoy Fall Without Being Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Fall is almost over, but that doesn’t mean we can’t stretch it out and enjoy this season as much as we can before the snow hits. A lot of classic Fall activities have recently been labeled “basic,” but you can still appreciate the season while defying the label. Here are some tricks to make the most of the next few weeks and enjoy Fall to the non-basic fullest.

1. Order a hot drink other then a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Try a Chai, or even a Dirty Chai, which has the spice that’s so comforting but isn’t as typical Fall, or even the drink of our youth, Hot Chocolate. Who knows, you may just find your new favorite order.

2. Don’t instagram every tree you see that is changing colors. Yes, we all understand the beauty of the leaves, but let us appreciate the actual trees and not just a photo. You can always instagram all of the candy corn you’re eating!

3. Don’t try to wear your summer clothes out at night. Obviously we would love to keep the warm nights all throughout the year, but that’s just not in our control. What is in our control is making sure we don’t get hypothermia from underdressing.

4. Try not to wear your Uggs with leggings and a North Face every day. While we all know this is extremely comfortable, it is also the stereotypical “basic” girl outfit. Plus, let’s be honest, cute boots and sweaters are just as comfortable.

5. Just about every girl enjoys a nice soak in the tub, especially in the cold months, but snapping a photo of your legs engulfed in bubbles can label you as “basic”. Try avoiding taking pictures and just enjoy your time to relax.

6. Avoid the excessive number of hashtags. While some may be helpful, you honestly don’t need to write “#fall #fallingleaves #colors #beauty #nature”. Yeah, we all know that it’s Gall, but thanks.

7. A good smelling room or house is great, but if it’s an overwhelming smell of apples and cinnamon, then it gets to be a little much. Instead of exhausting your new “Green Apple Orchard” scented candle, try using it sparingly. Not only will you be able to breath, but you’ll also be able to avoid the “basic” label.