6 Fun Nail Designs for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, which means it’s time for us collegiettes to accessorize in every way possible.  Everyone knows that showing Halloween spirit is one of the best parts of fall.  We picked some of our favorite Halloween nail art (designed and painted by Jess DeTorres ’14) to help you decide how to paint your nails this Halloween.

If you’re a creative, “red side in the dining hall” kind of girl, we recommend:

A Spooky Cat

There are a ton of different directions to go in when painting a spooky cat.  Doing a cat on one fingernail is a great way to display Halloween spirit without your nails looking too crazy. (And let’s be honest, trying to paint a cat on every nail would be a little too ambitious.)  This will leave your other fingers free for cute designs like paw prints or glitter.  Doing a black cat will leave you plenty of options to decide on a background color.  We recommend green or orange in the spirit of Halloween.!

If you’ve made our fashion blog (or you’re an undiscovered fashionista), we recommend:  

Ghosts

Ghosts can be as simple or complex as you make them.  The great thing about ghosts is that they’re white, so they should match just about every outfit you own.  You could either go for the classic spooky face on every nail or you can show a little bit of CTM and change up the faces.  These nails will show off your acknowledgement of Halloween without attacting too much attention.

If you are the kind of person that goes all out on Halloween (Cady Heron-style), we recommend:

A Little of Everything

Why settle for one design when you have ten fingernails?  You can have a scary Frankenstein nail, a cute ghost nail, a sweet candy corn nail, a fun pumpkin nail, or whatever your heart desires.  This nail art is sure to draw in the attention of others.  Your nail designs won’t be just an accessory; they’ll be a vital part of your attire.  People will be impressed by your spirit and artistic ability.

[pagebreak]

If your closet mainly consists of Ralph Lauren and J. Crew, we recommend:

French Manicure Spider

The “French Manicure Spider” nail art is an elegant design that will show off your Halloween spirit without going too over the top.  By painting your nails orange (or green) and doing a black strip on each nail, you’ll maintain the sophisticated French manicure look while adding a little Halloween flair. Adding a spider on the fourth fingernail shows that you’re celebrating Halloween and not just experimenting French manicure colors.

If you’re sweet and easygoing, we recommend:

Candy Corn

This design shows the sweetest part of Halloween: candy corn.  Who doesn’t love a little bit of candy corn in October?  If you’re laid back you’re not going to be focusing on making perfectly straight candy corn stripes.  We recommend sponging the colors on to add a cool blended effect.  This will also leave less room for mistakes. 

If you’re a diva, we recommend:

Halloween Glitter Gradient

The sparkle of your nails will immediately with attract all eyes to you.  We recommend an off-white base color.  Then you should add some gold and black to show Halloween festivity.  Since we know you’ll be rocking these nails downtown we decided to show a daytime picture (above) and how your nail will look at a club (below).

*Tip from the artist: Always use a good topcoat.  Using a topcoat that is cheap will end up smearing the design.

Which is your favorite Halloween-themed nail design? Tell us in the comments!