5 Reasons you DEFINITELY Should Not Go Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Going abroad is so common at Skidmore, and since we Skid Kids like to be different, here are some reasons you should not follow the pack and stay on campus forever.

1. Meeting new people is hard and you should avoid it at all costs: Meeting new people freshman year at Skidmore was enough. You definitely do not need to meet people from all over the world while traveling abroad. Life is probably the same where they live; I mean Sri Lanka is basically Saratoga Springs, right?

2. The food is fresh and cheap but that means they’re probably hiding something: Give me buttery, greasy Dhall food over market-fresh produce ANY DAY. I trust that the cooks in the dining hall know as much about cuisine as the chefs in Paris and who likes home-cooked meals by host-parents anyway? Its not like I can’t go over to my friend’s Northwoods apartment and eat mac and cheese and have it be almost exactly the same thing…right?

3. Traveling around is really cheap, but traveling is stressful: So what you can go from Paris to Belgium round trip for 35 euros? I can go to New York City from Saratoga Springs for $100! Besides, people speaking different languages will make it impossible to know if you’re going the right or wrong way. Europe has not foreseen this problem and made all signs in at least three different languages that would make them way too prepared.

4. The classes are easier, so you probably learn less: Skidmore classes are unnecessarily hard, so that is how you have to learn. You can’t just take classes that make more sense and require less work but you learn the same if not more, that’s cheating. Also you need to be absorbed with homework all weekend, no one has time for weekend trips when education is on the table!

5. You won’t have any fun: Why would anyone have fun being somewhere other than Saratoga Springs, where the winters don’t physically hurt you, the food is to die for, the people you meet will change your life and you’ll be able to call another country home? It doesn’t make sense to me… 

Look at these people having no fun in Geneva Switzerland! LOOK! 

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.
A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.