5 Favorite Oscars Nominees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Award show season is upon us! The Oscars promise to be as entertaining as ever this year, as Ellen DeGeneres will take the stage for the second year in a row to host the most prestigious night in Hollywood. Although the Oscars claim to be impartial, it’s obvious that sometimes the person that deserves to win is not always the person that does win. Let’s be honest, Hollywood isn’t exactly a prime example of a meritocracy at work. In an attempt to recognize the individuals who may not take home the award but certainly deserve to do so, we’ve chosen our favorite picks for Oscars 2014. We definitely recommend tuning in on Sunday, March 2, if for no other reason than to check out the outfits and to see what shenanigans Ellen has come up with for this year.    

Best Picture

12 Years A Slave

This was hands-down the most powerful film of the year. The acting was raw, the cinematography and screenplay creative and soulful, and above all, the story expertly told. Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave is an important film that deserves to be recognized as the best picture of the year.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Leonardo DiCaprio

It seems almost unbelievable that Leonardo DiCaprio has never won an Oscar before. Although he’s been nominated five times, he’s been snubbed year after year. If Leo hasn’t deserved to win an Oscar thus far, he certainly has proved himself worthy in his portrayal of the money-hungry Jordan Belfort in the Wolf of Wall Street. Although the Wolf of Wall Street was somewhat gratuitous in its usage of sex, drugs, and expletives for shock value, Leo was remarkable. 

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Cate Blanchett

Although Woody Allen is currently under some serious public scrutiny, his film Blue Jasmine deserves to be recognized in some way at the 2014 Oscars. Cate Blanchett gave a performance that was simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking, clearly distinguishing her from the other nominees.  

[pagebreak]

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Jared Leto

Leto lost 40 lbs. to play Rayon, an HIV-positive transgender woman in Dallas Buyers Club. He completely transformed himself, delivering a performance that was honest and tragic. Leto reportedly stayed in character in between filming in order to understand the essence of his character. His efforts clearly paid off! 

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Jennifer Lawrence

Who doesn’t love Jennifer Lawrence? Seriously, she’s only 23 years old and has already accomplished so much. While Lawrence won Best Actress last year for Silver Linings Playbook, her performance in American Hustle was just as good, if not better. Lawrence rocked a Long Island drawl and exuded a larger-than-life persona in her candid portrayal of Rosalyn Rosenfeld.

Share your picks for the Oscars in the comments below!