5 Essential Tips to Combat Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s Thursday night and you can’t wait to dance the night away. You put on a low back top, turn around to check yourself out and… OMGare those scales!?

Our skin goes through a lot from facing the artic tundra of Saratoga winter, participating in athletic events, to keeping up with our busy social calendar. Her Campus is here to help so you don’t have to be that person awkwardly scratching at your itchy calves in class or trying to pass off your ashy hands as merely clay-covered from ceramics. Try these tips to stave off the never-ending winter woes on your skin.

1. Be a lotion queen

Being good to your skin means developing a daily routine. Based on your activities and the weather, you will likely need to mix it up depending on what your skin needs. In the winter it is important to moisturize every day because cold weather really strips your skin’s natural oils, drying it out. Arm yourself with a good lotion and you will be all set. We highly recommend Kiehl’s Crème de Corps ($48), Aveda Replenishing Body Moisturizer ($27), Eucerin Calming Crème ($11), or Queen Helene Cocoa Butter ($6).

2. Moisturizing starts in the shower

One problem causing dry skin could very well be your body wash or the soap you use. Go for a body wash that won’t dry out your skin such as Eucerin Calming Body Wash Daily Shower Oil ($9). If you prefer a bar, try an olive oil or goat milk based bar of soap. You can stop by the farmer’s market for a great selection. Or try McGillycuddy’s Naturals, a family-run store in the Saratoga Marketplace that has a variety of natural beauty products.

3. Body oil is your friend

Body oil is not just for massages, but rather can be used in place of lotion. We recommend using it at night before bed, as it takes longer to absorb. We love the Neutrogena Light Sesame formula ($9.99) because it is feels wonderful and smells great too.

4. Drink like a fish

Thursday nights are hard on our skin for many reasons, but especially since alcohol dries out the body. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day (and night) so you’re not left feeling parched inside and out.

5. Incubate those hands and feet

If your hands and feet resemble a crocodile, one of the best things you can do for fast relief is to layer moisturizer on your hands and feet before bed and then sleep with socks on. Having socks on both the hands and feet keep them warm as you sleep and will enable the moisturizer to absorb better. You can either put a rich lotion on, a mixture of body oil and lotion, or lotion and Vaseline. Mix it up to find a combination that you like best.

Hands particularly take a beating during the winter because they are so often exposed to the elements. A great, super rich lotion that is ideal for dry hands is Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. Yes you read that right. Udder cream. The lotion was originally developed for dairy cows, but this intense blend of moisturizing goodness works wonders on super dry skin. You can find it at your local drugstore for the bargain price of $4. Works great for dry feet as well.

Follow these tips, create a regime you stick to each day, and you will have the glowing skin that reflects the marvelous you within!

Emma Weinstein is a senior at Skidmore College majoring in Art History. She loves being a part of Her Campus Skidmore and has written articles throughout her four years. Emma is an avid equestrian and member of the Riding Team. Other hobbies include travel, cooking, and personal fitness.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.