5 Best Love Movies For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

1. Love Actually

The world seems to be torn as to whether Love Actually is a Christmas movie or not. In my personal opinion, it is simply a movie about love, and love knows no season. It is perfectly acceptable to watch this in February, even after the Christmas decorations have long been down. This movie fulfills the need for perfect fairytale endings, unlikely romances, and grand gestures of love. 

2. 27 Dresses

27 Dresses is arguably my favorite chick flick of all time. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that it is impossible to stop singing “Bennie and the Jets” for at least three days after watching it. Katherine Heigl’s role as perennial bridesmaid Jane is hilarious and relatable for anyone who thinks they will always be stuck watching other people’s love stories play out while never finding their own. Heigl’s chemistry with James Marsden is incredible, and I still wait on the edge of my seat for their first kiss every time. 

3. The Notebook

How could I not include The Notebook on a list of best romance movies? Yes, it may be cliché, but it is that way for a reason. There is no way around it, The Notebook is an incredible, cheesy, heartbreaking Nicholas Sparks masterpiece that never really seems to get old. Noah and Allie are the epitome of soulmates, and by watching this movie you can live vicariously through them. Where do we find a guy who will build us our dream house and then write us a letter every day for a year? 

4. Bridget Jones’s Diary

We have all been Bridget Jones at some point in our lives. Sitting on her couch listening to sad love songs and drinking wine, Bridget Jones is the most relatable of romcom leads. And how lucky is she to have both Hugh Grant and Colin Firth fighting over her? Sign us up. 

5. Crazy, Stupid Love

This movie is worth watching simply because of its incredible cast. Steve Carell is hilarious as always as the leading man, and Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling have their usual incredible chemistry. It has the perfect mix of comedy and moments of true love and emotion, and will leave you happy even if Valentine’s Day is a holiday you would rather forget. 

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore