10 Ways to Make Valentine’s Day Not Suck if You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

1. Eat your favorite food.

Is it ice cream? Pizza? Homemade chocolate chip cookies? Today is the day to treat yourself to something delicious. If you have time and a kitchen, take the time to make yourself a nice meal, or go out to your favorite restaurant with friends. 

2. Watch a romantic comedy (see “5 Best Love Movies For Valentine’s Day”)

Let yourself get swept up into the relationship of two incredibly beautiful and perfect fictional characters to forget about the fact that your Prince Charming hasn’t arrived yet. 

3. Call your mom (or any family member who you love)

There are so many people who love you! Call someone you care dearly about and tell them how much they mean to you- chances are you don’t tell them enough and hearing from you will make their day. 

4. Throw a Galentine’s Day party

Invite all of your friends over for sweet treats and hot chocolate and play games like Cards Against Humanity, or just chat and catch up on each other’s lives!

5. Do something kind for a stranger

There is nothing better than knowing you have made someone else’s day. Leave an extra tip at your favorite coffee shop, cheer up a sad friend, or compliment a stranger on their totally awesome outfit. 

6. Rock out to a girl-power playlist

If you don’t have one already, Spotify has countless girl power playlists to choose from. Turn up the tunes and dance like nobody is watching, or let these empowering anthems motivate you to kill it at the gym. 

7. Go to a fun workout class.

Do something kind for your body and sweat out the stress! Group fitness classes can be a fun and motivational way to stay in shape, and the post-workout endorphins will make the day seem that much better.

8. Wear something that makes you feel good

Whether that’s bright lipstick, a cute dress, sweats, or leggings, wear something that makes you feel confident and like the best version of yourself. 

9. Splurge on yourself.

You work hard every day and deserve to be appreciated just as much as anyone else! Buy that new skincare product you’ve been eying online, the fancy coffee that you kind of feel bad about spending $5 on but tastes so good, or a book that’s been on your reading list for months. 

10. Remember that self-love always comes first!

You are the most important person in your life and the one you are stuck with forever. Don’t forget to show her some love sometimes!

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore