10 Struggles Only Skidmore Students Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

1. Trying to figure out which season to dress for when it’s 30 degrees in the morning and 60 by lunchtime. 

This is specific to all colleges in this area of the country but maintaining a Skidmore level of style with confusing weather is a true challenge. 

2. Getting to dhall for dinner just as they’re switching to late night.

Sometimes you have a meeting or practice that runs past 7:30 and you can’t make it to dhall until later. Then you want real food and there are only French Toast sticks… 

3. Waiting for the bus.

Will it ever be on time? Is the pdf schedule correct? The world will never know. I figure if I wait at the bench long enough it will appear at some point. 

4. Not being able to find somewhere to sit at Uncommon Grounds on weekends.

Like a lot of Skidmore students I like to get off campus on weekends to try and get some work done. Everyone’s favorite study spot seems to be Uncommon Grounds and thus it is nearly impossible to find somewhere to sit on a Saturday afternoon. 

5. Having classes on the third floor of any building. So many stairs.

Walking up to Tisch and seeing students making the trek up the three flights of stairs is almost enough to make me turn around. 

6. Walking halfway across the world to get to the Sports Center.

Is it even worth it? By the time I get there I feel like I’ve already done my workout for the day. 

7. Figuring out which side of dhall to sit on.

This becomes obvious as time goes on but walking into dhall as a first-year can be very intimidating. Which way will you turn? Which way will your friends turn?

8. Not being able to find the library study room you reserved.

There should really be a map or arrows or something. There’s no way to describe to anyone where you are in the library because every floor and side looks exactly the same. 

9. Switching study locations once the library closes.

1:00 or 2:00 am is still early when you have a big exam or paper the next day. Having to get up and relocate to Case or your room is a huge hassle, especially when it’s cold out. 

10. Figuring out Spa hours.

When is it open? When is it not? I could probably look this information up but I usually guess and my guesses are often wrong. 

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore