10 Must-See Movies for the Hopeless Romantic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We’ve all seen the classic love stories like The Notebook, Titanic, and Pretty Woman, but here are a few “aww” worthy flicks (and top notch leading males) that you might’ve missed.

About Last Night… (1986)
Sex. Love. Rob Lowe in his 20s. Sold?

Forever Young (1992)
This one gets missed a lot by our generation, but it’s a classic nonetheless. A young Mel Gibson (in other words, a sane Mel Gibson) and an ending that is sure to move you to tears, make this the perfect movie for a lonely night.

The Cutting Edge (1992) 
For those of us that love a feel-good sports drama, this movie combines sass, humor, and an unlikely romance in the best possible way.

Reality Bites (1994)
We all love a little badass and we all love a good friends-to-lovers plot, especially when nineties fashion and Ethan Hawke are involved…

Legends of the Fall (1994)
Bust out the ice cream and tissues for this one, ladies. Set in the early 1900’s with a Montana backdrop, it’s an epic tale of lust, love, loss, and three brothers falling for the same girl. (Did we mention Brad Pitt?)

Shakespeare In Love (1998)
It won Best Picture for a reason. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll wish you were in Gwyneth Paltrow’s shoes…

Someone Like You (2001)
This quirky flick is great for a night with the girls! You?ll all be able to relate to Ashley Judd’s guy problems (even if yours don’t include Hugh Jackman…).

A Lot Like Love (2005) 
Like us, you’ll watch this and wonder why it’s not as popular as other recent romcoms. It’s cute and witty, without being unbearably corny, and boasts a killer soundtrack!

Keith (2008)
Yes, Jesse McCartney is the lead. Laugh all you want, but this indie-esque teen romance is surprisingly moving and lacks the typical teenybopper undertone of most high school love stories.

Away We Go (2009)
While this movie isn’t advertised as an epic romance, the real and unexaggerated love between John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph is one that us girls can all admire.

So grab the popcorn (and in some cases, tissues) and get ready for an emotional roller coaster. This top ten is bound to fuel your girls nights in, or at least get you through finals!

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn