Why You Need to Listen to “thank u, next”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

I admired her strength throughout a traumatic terrorist attack. I kept her in my thoughts when her ex passed away. I watched her engagement fail, and I watched the media thrive as her engagement failed. I haven’t even mentioned her name, and you know who I’m talking about.

In the past few years, the world’s spotlight has shone relentlessly on both Ariana Grande’s incredible achievements and horrifying downfalls. In a world riddled with hate, pain, and broken hearts, Ariana continues to show us the light. She faces demons with grace, dignity, and class which is admirable in lieu of her tumultuous journey. Through her transparency with fans and undeniable talent, Grande continues to rise above her obstacles and produce content that rings true to herself while pleasing millions of listeners.

Grande’s fandom has been gaining momentum. You can feel the love for her as her supporters blissfully outshine her haters. Among the many fans who dressed up as Ariana Grande for Halloween, Kourtney Kardashian was one of them. This outward support for Grande is an example of women proudly supporting other women. To dress up as Ariana in a dark time shows that her light is even stronger than she knows. It is imperative to support each other, and it’s never too late to do so. She needs the world on her side, and I’m here for it.

Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson split up following the death of Mac Miller, her ex-boyfriend, because she needed space and time to heal. This may be an unpopular opinion, but the two of them should be proud. When someone is right for you but the timing is wrong, it is not easy to cut ties. The growth of their romance was stunted in a fragile time, so I commend their decision to call off the engagement. From the glimpses into Ariana’s life that we get on social media, fans could tell she was okay.

Ariana released a single on November 3rd, and this is not your average song.

“thank u, next” opens up with a line that refers to Big Sean, followed by lines referring to Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson, and Mac Miller. The common thread that ties these men together is that they all once dated Ariana Grande. Immediately, we know we’re in for an interesting story.

“One taught me love, one taught me patience, and one taught me pain,” the song continues. She lists four exes; however, it’s safe to assume Pete and Mac were Grande’s main muses when she wrote this song.

The second verse is where my chills climaxed. Commentary by yours truly.

“Spend more time with my friends (good)

I aint worried about nothin’ (great)

Plus, I met someone else (*universe simultaneously gasps*)

We havin’ better conversations (burn)

I know they say I move on too fast (haters gon’ hate)

But this one gon’ last (…….)

‘Cause her name is Ari (!!!!!!!!)

And I’m so good with that.” (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ariana Grande, you are amazing. This verse epitomizes hope, self-love, and positivity. Thank you for being transparent with us. So many people needed to hear these words.

The final verse goes on to Ariana’s future – she can picture herself walking down the aisle with her mother. This part is truly darling and finishes on a light note: “God forbid something happens, at least this song is a smash.” Every turn in this song is a reminder that sh*t happens and it’s okay… But when it does, the only option is to persevere.

Ariana has love and patience to give to a man in the future, but she’s focused on mustering up the strength to give love and patience to herself…and that’s amazing.

HCXO,

Corinne