What We Learned in 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Each year we are faced with different challenges and realities. We learn more about ourselves, the relationships we keep with people, and the ones we let go. The older we get we learn who we are as individuals, and each and every year we learn new things. Whether we have a great year or just an “alright” year, there is time to learn and grow. Our past creates our future, so I made it my mission to ask girls the simple question, “What have you learned in 2013?”

“If you don’t get a job right out of college, it’s not the end of the world.”

“You don’t have to like everyone, because everyone isn’t going to like you. You just click with certain people and sometimes it doesn’t always work out with others.”

“I better marry rich because I absolutely hate cleaning and cooking.”

“After going abroad I learned how to be more independent. Being away from my parents, my friends, and technology, living in a foreign country for four months forced me to become more dependent upon myself, and less dependent on others. I also learned that I was more capable of doing things without having to rely on technology, like reading a city map without the help on my iPhone.”

“As a senior about to graduate, I’ve learned to cherish every moment.”

“Don’t worry about things you can’t control.”

“Drinking four nights a week will make you gain weight, fast.”

“During 2013 I was blessed enough to study abroad in Roma. I cannot believe this chapter of my life has come to an end and the anticipation of what awaited at the other end of my flight in July engulfed my mind the month before departing. During those past 6 months I’ve traveled to multiple countries, people who were once strangers have become life long friends, and I now have a greater appreciation for the little things in life. Ill never forget this trip and all the memories tied to it.”

“Don’t stress the little things. The most important things in life are family, friends, health, and happiness.”

“Letting go of your past is hard but just make the jump. Life is too short to hold on to the people and things that don’t matter.”

We should take each past year’s experiences to make 2014 even better. It’s important to keep looking for the good that can come out of every experience. We can learn from one another about how to make each year better and take every experience in life, as a lesson.