Wearing your Wardrobe as your Own Personal Essay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

“You can never be overdressed or overeducated”                                                   -Oscar Wilde. 

What do you usually wear to class on those cold winter days? Yoga pants, sweatshirts, even pajama bottoms. Clothing is extremely important in the expression of people in society.  Cheri Jo Pascoe, a sociologist and author wrote on one of her studies that “Bodies are the vehicles through which we express gendered selves […] also the matter through which social norms are made concreter”. Our exterior is a means of communication. Each of us gives off a certain vibe with our fashion, our expression, and our attitude. Therefore, most people utilize clothes and accessories to portray an image.

On May 19, 2013, CBS broadcasted a Sunday Morning special that caught my attention. Professor Linda Przybyszewski teaches a class called “A Nation of Slobs” at University of Notre Dame, in South Bend, Indiana. Professor Przybyszewski broadcasted her astonishment at the way America’s fashion sense has shifted: From hats and gloves as accessories to plastic flip flops and pajamas as appropriate wardrobe attire. We all know that sweatpants and pajama bottoms are probably the most comfortable clothing items in our wardrobes, but they are not for certain situations, for example, class.

VS

Yes, we do want to feel comfortable going to class, mostly on those early 8:00 AM days. However, we have to put ourselves together.  Dressing will make a good impression to all of our professors and peers. My mom always used to tell me “How would you feel if your teachers got to class looking like they just got out of bed? At least pretend like you care.” She was right. It is not about wearing business casual attire everyday or photo shoot make-up to your classes, but instead putting in a little effort. Putting on sweatpants, a hoodie and UGGs takes the same amount of energy that putting on leggings, a cute sweater, your favorite necklace and the same pair of UGG boots. So, ladies step it up and try it! Also, the compliments you get always add a little extra happiness to your day.

[1] Cheri J. Pascoe, Dude You’re A Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School (Berkley: University of California Press, 2007), 12.

Born and raised in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Majoring in Communication Studies at Saint Joseph's University. I am a fashion lover since day one, I am pretty sure it is in my genes. I believe that knowledge is important, love and kindness are necessary, faith is what holds everything together, and being girly doesn't hurt anyone.