This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The *ULTIMATE* Fall Guide

As the nights grow longer and the temperature drops, we all just want to stay inside and the comforting solitude that cold weather brings. Additionally with COVID-19 still very much being a threat, it is best to have a repertoire of things to do at home. Here is my ultimate list of television, films, music, podcasts, and books to keep you entertained into the holidays.

TELEVISION

THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF this lighthearted show literally says everything in its title. It is indeed great, it is very British, and, well, they bake. The show has a good balance of reality competition, but mixed in with the quaint countryside aesthetics that makes it the perfect blend for fall. Keep up with the latest season on Netflix.

The Simpson Treehouse of Horror: Disney+ has a collection of all of the treehouse of horror episodes. This Simpson staple has been a fan favorite and is sure to spook just in time for Halloween.

Emily in Paris: Whether you love it or hate it, Emily in Paris has made quite the splash within the last week. As a francophile and fashion addict I will be watching this show for the outrageous wardrobe and French scenery. 

Lovecraft County: In its inaugural season, Lovecraft Country features Atticus Black joining his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father. What ensues can only be described as pure horror. 

Schitts Creek A cult classic by the end of its tenure, the little show that could have finally released its sixth and final season on Netflix and it will not disappoint. Let’s hope for a reunion soon! 

The Haunting of Bly Manor The chilling netflix drama is based on the novel Henry James’s work novella The Turn of the Screw. This one is really spooky so don’t say you were not warned!

MOVIES

When Harry Met Sally: I love this classic 80s movie starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. Not only does the story of two best friends falling in love tug on my heart strings, but the main characters’ fashion choices are to die for. 

Knives Out: Family drama, inheritances, and Chris Evans? Yes I love this movie. On a family’s estate, the patriarch dies under mysterious circumstances and it is up to two detectives if there is any foul play in this modern take on the classic whodunnit. (Newsflash: it was murder).

Dead Poets Society I love Robin Williams and I love poetry. This movie was made for me! Williams stars as a boarding school  teacher who connects with his students through poetry. It is so wonderful seeing Robin Williams soar in a dramatic role while maintaining his comedic charm. Also, Vermont in the fall is a mood.

The September Issue: A  compelling documentary film about the behind-the-scenes drama that follows editor-in-head Anna Wintour and her staff during the production of the September 2007 issue of American Vogue magazine.

Enola Holmes: Stept aside Sherlock! There is a new detective in London and her name is Enola. The sister of the fame detective must take over solving crimes in this charming Netflix movie starring Millie Bobby Brown. 

BOOKS

The Mysterious Affair at Styles: We have to start with the queen of mysteries herself Agatha Christie. This is the first novel of her Hercule Pierot series. While we have all heard of the more popular Murder on the Orient Express, I suggest starting with the first to get the full effect.

Where The Crawdads Sing: Delia Owens’ debut novel celebrates the beauty of nature in this coming of age tale. Plus, the whodunnit murder will have you guessing until the last page. 

The Heir Affair: The second novel in the Royal We series sees American Bex and Prince Nicholas settling into their lives as newly wed royals. However, making it down the aisle is only the beginning now they must navigate the rest.

Gone Girl: This instant classic is a must read. Sure you can watch the movie and get the gist, but the novel is a more visceral experience. Gillian Flynn has several horror novels and I love them all but Gone Girl is the novelist at her finest.

Mexican Gothic: Author Silvia Moreno-Garcia penned this chilling novel as an ode to Mexico. An enticing heiress traveling to the Mexican countryside meets English nobleman under ominous circumstances. The horror and gore in this novel celebrates Latinx writing.

PODCASTS

The Michelle Obama Podcast: The former FLOTUS branches off into the podcast scene and excels. Her style and flair makes the podcast feel like you are having a conversation with her and her guests. Her first guest of course is President Obama.

The Heirheads Podcast: This fun podcast hosted by two best friends has an unusual take on the royal podcast. As self-proclaimed royal skeptics they discuss typical royal gossip, but always reminding the listeners of the real cost of a royal family. And don’t fret! They do talk about Kate’s fashion choices. 

Gossip with Celebitchy Podcast: A celebrity podcast with no hold barred. Who doesn’t need a bit of escapism from time to time, and like the hosts Katie and Chandra say “escapism can be smart”.

Balanced Black Girl: One word to describe this podcast: ZEN. The host discussed all about health and wellness, and going into winter, we all need to take care of our physical and mental health.

Burn it all down: Calling all sports lovers! This brilliant podcast covers a variety of sports topics including diversity and equality, athlete interviews, and current events all from the lens of female sports enthusiasts. 

MUSIC

Paris Hilton: The Heiress put out a new single that gives major 2000s vibes. So grab your clear lip gloss and denim skirt to really get into the mood.

Ava Max: Pop’s newest sensation just released her first album and it is awesome! If you are looking for mindless pop music, listen to her.

Little Mix: The veteran British girl band has released new music during Lockdown and announced their sixth studio album Confetti for November 6th. I anticipate bop after bop, as usual.

LORDE: Rumor has it that Lorde will release new music if New Zealanders voted in there election, so we expect a new Lorde song any day now and new Lorde music is always welcomed.

Ariana Grande: Her new song “Positions” has already made a splash across pop radio and we cannot wait for the full album!

If you find yourself bored on a Sunday afternoon why not listen to a new podcast or watch a relaxing movie. I’m off to wait for the new Lorde music 

HCXO, Joetta

Business Administration Major Cat lover Recovering Directioner
Political Science and English double major, Macaroni & Cheese enthusiast, and book shopping connoisseur. Probably somewhere writing a paper...